Pigs vs. Bees: a 2014 Challenge, aka "Oh hey, another one of these threads" -- NO. IT'S DIFFERENT.

Unlike some of the more seasoned posters here, I picked up the game in Late 2013 just before the Thanksgiving Steam Sales. I quickly found myself hooked and caught onto the rules, and after just a single flop on Day 22 as Wilson I've since reached Day 236 as Willow in another world... and find myself looking for a way to reignite my interest in the game. While Day X challenges appear ubiquitous, I get the sensation that they're not remotely thrilling for either the survivor or the audience, so I sought to try something a little different.

I went about generating a new world... a very specific kind of world: one with an island, an isthmus, a scattered pig populace and a peculiar accumulation of bees. My goal: to usher in a new era of Pig Supremacy and cleanse the world of the unwanted, with killer bees at the top of the list.

In my short time here I have noticed a tendency for challenge players to die before getting their feet off the ground. In response, I have taken some... grey area precautions to assure an expedited start and eventual success:

-A heavily-modified Default Plus world was carefully chosen by an otherworldly all-seeing eye.

-Wickerbottom has spontaneously acquired a Walking Stick and Krampus Sack.

-Upon arrival, Wickerbottom performed a blood ritual to preserve this world in a dark magic archive. The book has since been added to Maxwell's Banned Books List.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so allow me to drown your eyes with Chapter 1 of my upcoming novel:

The Beginning

l9HV3on.jpg

The Problem

xFKSVvQ.jpg

...also the problem.

YPyKkZ4.jpg

The World

dIxBISF.jpg

The only Rockyland biome on this map. It's so small...

f5ZCDwR.jpg

Logs are nice for keeping you warm at night, but they don't have the same kick when it comes to recounting perilous adventures. Instead, I plan to transmit this journey in live video form on Twitch, and upon completion of significant achievements edit said stream footage into more interesting videos for YouTube.

Bees thwarted, spiders tamed, depths conquered... a new tale told to a new generation of players. Preparations have been made, but in truth I'm just getting started. The feats I seek to complete will begin within a few days. Who knows how it will end, or if it will end at all?

I look forward to taking on this challenge in the very near future (likely before next Sunday), and I hope others look forward to it too. Hell, if you want to give it a shot I've already given you the tools to do so; have at it!

TL;DR: Bees.

"What? You didn't even do anything yet!"

*ssssh!* don't tell them that.

I've since reached day 236 as Willow in another world... and find myself looking for a way to reignite my interest in the game.

Hahaha.

HAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Puns.

Really looking forward to those videos. I can't wait to see legions of bees dying at the hands of an army of pigs wearing silly hats.

Ten Days Later...

I have made significant progress, but I'm not sure if I should post future updates here or in a new thread in the Video section. As I have not yet made a decision, this update will be mostly screenshots...

The most meaningful strides towards my end goal were made more recently; with the city essentially complete, all that remains is clearing the path. I'll likely begin the anti-insect assault within two seasons, once I prepare enough meat and helmets for the vanguard.

Anyway, on topic, are there any caves?

I prefer the top-down approach. I haven't touched the caves yet and I likely won't until after I finish my first goal of killer bee subjugation. That said, there are a couple targets I wouldn't mind culling underground...

Construction of the megalopolis did not go without its share of rebellion. Running blindly through the cold winter nights has become a sort of twisted tradition.
9ANWZdQ.jpg

Final preparations necessitates quelling nature's wrath; a meager marsh and far-reaching forest stand between us and the enemy. As chance would have it, this marsh proved to be the most threatening one on the map.
mJdGcGE.jpg
It was certainly a "pleasant" surprise to learn that tentacles persisted after marsh turfs were removed. My hand was forced, and the army was deployed to remove the threat. Their sacrifice is not forgotten.
u9HnTwH.jpg
I haven't counted the remains, but there are likely four dozen spikes laying about this now-barren biome.

The only thing standing in our way is distance... and a swath of spiders that had expanded more rapidly than I could have ever predicted. By the time I had taken this screenshot, there was no turning back.
UIhSAmD.jpg
There were no survivors.

The spiders will not be forgiven. Retribution is imminent.

I'll try streaming once more, but the pig megalopolis proved to be more taxing on my CPU than was bearable. Worst case scenario, I'll have to stop streaming and resort to recording bee genocide off-air. :/

Personally, I would consider this entire endeavor more then worth it for just that first video alone.

Haha, it's a good thing I paused to turn on the camera then. That was a completely unexpected turn of events.

I'm winding down on the final days of my first goal. Day 200 has passed without much stress and I have more than enough pigs, Football Helmets and Meat/Morsels to wipe out both the Ring of Spiders and Isthmus of Bees... but, attacking now seems off to me. Something is wrong with my current setup.

I'm starting to think the distance from base to the frontline will put the assault on too strict a time limit. Even on a perfect summer's day, it would take about two minutes to distribute meat and another two~three to march northeast -- there wouldn't be enough time to finish the job in one go.

There are still plenty of pigs on the map that haven't been relocated, so I could spend extra time moving them all to an outpost closer to the battle... but, on second though, I have so much spare Cut Stone that another idea may be worth considering (assuming it works).

In the meantime, I've been wasting time toying with more of Wickerbottom's tacky novellas. As far as I could tell, they were both a snore.

It seems her literature was too naughty to be spoken aloud.

Everything should fall into place within the next two weeks or so. Until then.

AWWWW, KRAMPUS LOOKS SOOOOOO CUUUTE SLEEPING...I mean, nice video.

As for the tactical part of your update, 

I'm starting to think the distance from base to the frontline will put the assault on too strict a time limit. Even on a perfect summer's day, it would take about two minutes to distribute meat and another two~three to march northeast -- there wouldn't be enough time to finish the job in one go.

just build a forward-operating or secondary base at the staging area. If it won't serve other purposes after you meet your spider objective, then you can dismantle it. At least, if can be used a a Deerclops distraction or Hound kill zone. 

This is the penultimate update for Chapter 1 of this indeterminate length endeavor.

As for the tactical part of your update, just build a forward-operating or secondary base at the staging area.

This was the plan I ended up going with, although I initially had something else in mind. Rendering several dozen pigs homeless and trapping them within a 10-by-10 pen could have worked, but I'd rather not treat my soldiers as entirely disposable... only a little bit.

Construction of the forward base proved to be more arduous than expected, partially because of a self-imposed higher building code. I wasn't content with simply plopping 40+ pig houses on the grass this time around. I wanted to do it right.

After what I estimate to be 70 days of intermittent construction, I present to you: Fort Penning.

RoFRcl0.jpg

No expense was spared. Walls were fully constructed, and cobblestone gathered, crafted and placed by hand within the entirety of the perimeter. Naturally, some aspects were more time-consuming than others...

TKSI4I4.jpg

While the fort may be complete, now is not the right time to execute the culmination of what has now become a 270+ day undertaking. For now, all we can do... is wait.

9YjBmKK.jpg

Soon

OcrqKFL.jpg

As for my current base of operations, it has not changed significantly between Day 200 and Day 270; however, as I have neglected to offer an overhead view in the past, I will do so now.

XaxVOab.jpg

I have yet to lay a single finger on a bee after all this time... but, I'm sure you know that that will not last.

The moment is nearly upon us. What happens next, is not within the realm of words. But... that, regrettably, is in store for another day.

Until next time.

At long last... it is finally over... i-it's over...  it should be over.

A love letter to every starving wanderer that cursed the existence of killer bees, begets the uproarious lamentations of an unstable librarian. Rest well, comrades... you are not forgotten.

Thank you to those that have been following this journey. The challenge was not just in-game, but in properly chronicling progress in text, image and video form. I am really happy with this final update, and I'd like to think that it will leave a lasting memory to those that view it.

What does the future hold? Well, while I do have another challenge in mind I think it may be wiser to postpone it until Reign of Giants is out... so, until then. Fare thee well.

Archived