WTF Low FPS on SO and a few Tests and results

bethypso
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hi guys. Didnt know where to post this issue. So it falls here.

I used to play ONI on an old laptop, and now that i have a brand new PC to enjoy spaced out, the FPS count is worse, especially after discovering a few planetoids. With around 20fps at speed 2 I got upset, then I digged a little into it.

So I TEST the FPS count, without any mods. In Vanilla and SO. With and without debug tool. Zoomed in and zoomed out. Even made a test where i destroyed everything on every planetoids.

Here are some results (ask me if you are interested in the whole test). The fps count is always better in Vanilla. Raw after map creation and speed 3, 60fps for vanilla vs 45 for SO. On vanilla, speed 3 and revealing the whole map, fps drop to 45fps. And 25fps if I zoom full out (with debug).

On SO at start at speed 3 I have 45fps. 15fps if i use DEBUG tool. 40fps if i fully reveal the map and suppress DEBUG. 25fps if I zoom out. If I destroy everything on the map, I get only 30fps, even looking on dark edges.

I mean, WTF, only 30fps !!!? Even in speed 3 there is nothing to calculate cause everything is destroyed and I'm looking to black edges... My PC is only two years old... And if i add debug on top of that i drop to 15fps... I repeat there is nothing on the map and nothing to display on screen.

Despite having about the same size, vanilla and SO behave very differently regarding fps count. I wonder why ? Is it solvable ? It is a BIG disincentive to exploration in SO, as no matter what I do, as soon as I discover a few planetoids my fps count drop to nonsense regardless of what i build or whatever.

Interestingly, Magmalin and Frostial are bugged on the map attached. If  you click on them they simply disappear and you have to manually go to them by the spacemap. IDK if this is related though...

Please Klei, make exploration in SO enjoyable.

Thank you for this amazing game.

Steps to Reproduce

SO TEST MAP Destroyed.sav

Create new maps, use debug (kleiplay), or reveal it with sandbox tool. Destroy everything on every planet with the DEBUG destroy tool . Use steam to display FPS. Look at it and cry.

The log is not accurate, i disabled all mods for testing.

User Feedback

I have a SO cluster that is approx 10,000 cycles old.  All asteroids have been visited.  Most are colonized.  I have a 6700k (pretty old these days) and 16GB.  I wont say its running perfect but its .... well mostly tolerable.  I do have those moments where FPS sinks.  Question, have you let it sit there and run for lets say 30mins.  Just doing nothing?  It almost seems like asteroids you haven't visited in awhile are either going to sleep or arent fully active before your first visit after loading or?  For instance, when I first opened up the Moo asteroid my FPS tanked and stuttered for awhile.  Now, that its been mined out mostly and the Moos pathing is easier? the game has resumed the better fps of 20s.  There does seem to be like a warm up period where the game (or possibly Windows) is perhaps optimizing?  Being that maps like mine take around 9GB it possibly makes sense there is some memory optimization that would occur.  How this could translate into these wild fps swings we experience I'd say probably it wouldn't.

Edited by ONIZone

Share this comment

Hey thanks for your comment.

I experience too the fps drop on my gaming asteroids. I'm not speaking of it here. There is no drop on a fully destroyed map. I'm at 30fps straight despite having nothing to calculate. (on my gaming asteroid, 600cycles and four planetoids discovered, I play with about 25-30 fps in speed 1 and 15-20fps in speed 3, which are tolerable but not really enjoyable, especially with the UI lagging).

What I am pointing out here is that there is something wrong, fps should not be as low with almost nothing on screen. Especially since it is not the case in vanilla.

Share this comment

We'd have to find out if it's a tick rate issue or render issue.  My guess is something in the simulation is what is causing the rate drops even with little to render on screen.  Of course, this is less than useful information.  Just thoughts on the subject.  Profiling a working disassembly of the code is all I can think would help at this point.

Share this comment

I see the biggest dips in FPS when i land on a new planetoïde , i can get most back bij disabling most diagnostics items per planetoïde. If i do not do this i get i almost unplayable game after the third planetoïde.

Could you maybe test again and see if this makes a difference for you?

Share this comment

You make an interesting point.  The information panels do seem to have much influence on rates. Opening the consumables panel is quite painful (especially when you accidently hit the hot key as often as I do).  I always minimize the Diag option on the middle right panel.  The one that report breathability and such.  I'm not sure how much that matters though.  When I open the full resources panel things get laggy for sure though.  I'll give a try to eliminating as many report GUI options as I can and see what turns up.

Share this comment

I do not mean closing the diag panel, i mean deselecting items in the diag window. Minimizing the diag panel seems to make no difference to me. It makes a lot off difference in my performance on my under powered laptop when i deselected most items. i'm interested to see what you find out.

oni_diag.thumb.png.7a998f5034480319a6735b5bc4bd425c.png

Share this comment

On 4/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, bethypso said:

Hey thanks for your comment.

I experience too the fps drop on my gaming asteroids. I'm not speaking of it here. There is no drop on a fully destroyed map. I'm at 30fps straight despite having nothing to calculate. (on my gaming asteroid, 600cycles and four planetoids discovered, I play with about 25-30 fps in speed 1 and 15-20fps in speed 3, which are tolerable but not really enjoyable, especially with the UI lagging).

What I am pointing out here is that there is something wrong, fps should not be as low with almost nothing on screen. Especially since it is not the case in vanilla.

If you remove all material then there isn't "nothing" on screen to calculate, click the light overlay and the radiation overlay!

If you remove all the material it is now having to calculate light and radiation decay all down the map. Vanilla didn't have radiation so will run faster.

Share this comment