Sulfur Geyser showing -174c and freezing water during eruptions

ApoNono
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I had a sulfur geyser captured that went wrong :)

When I cracked it open the steam started instantly getting sucked back in toward the geyser while it was erupting and turning into ice. As the geyser continues to erupt it was coming out at -162c and instantly freezing water. 

In the first file attached - the Geyser is registering at -174c
The liquid sulfur coming out says it is 165.2c but the water is turning into ice.  

I have restarted the game multiple times to make sure it wasn't just a one time thing and it continues to happen. 

LiquidSulfurTemp.png

SulfurGeyser.png

Steps to Reproduce

Not sure on this one. 

I had a sulfur geyser captured that got too hot. I had it all in a vacuum. I opened the box to let the steam out and to break it apart to rebuild. During rebuilding I noticed the geyser was freezing water when it erupted. 

Not sure if update related or because it covered itself in solid sulfur before I was able to open it up again. 

User Feedback

I observed the exact same thing with a gold volcano.

If you pause the game at the right moment, you even can see the ice is formed at -273°C (absolute 0).

My guess: At some point, the game has a bug while computing heat transfer, and the heat of some water is completly deleted. But the temperature of gold/sulfur (or whatever the geyser errupts) remains normal. My gold volcano also shows -174.2°C but I don't think it is related (in fact, all my geysers show this temperature).

The bug on video: https://youtu.be/80SrvBeYKbU

On the video, some mods are still enabled, but I observed again the bug after reloading the game with no mods (and thus, unloading/reloading the save doesn't fix the problem).

My setup when I produced the bug:

Have a gold volcano in vacuum, with a bit of water on it (about 42Kg per tile, at 12°C). Wait for volcano to errupt =>some water goes to absolute 0 for no reason.

Edited by dubicube

Share this comment

There were several other cases for volcanos:

Gold volcano freezing water to -268.7C

Strange Volcano Heat Deletion

Gold volcano converts water and saltwater to very cold ice

So.. is it geysers in general that are close to the right side of the edge of the map?

More importantly: Was that bug brought to vanilla ONI now? :D (letting a volcano erupt inside the base would be interesting :rolleyes:)

Share this comment

Good point - I didn't even think to check if all vents/geysers were at -174c.  My friend and I are playing the same seed and his version of the sulfur geyser isn't having this issue.  The only difference between our two setups was that I had to break back in to dig out the sulfur blocks that formed and move things around and he hasn't.  

I "solved" my problem for now by filling the box with O2 and using a cooling loop to keep the temp in check...

Share this comment