Rover takes very long breaks between single tasks.

karli
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

The Rover will take a long break after each task, increasing with the speed setting.

I took the following measurements on my hardware (see DxDiag file attached):

x1 speed: 8 seconds avg (8 seconds abs)
x2 speed: 12 seconds avg (24 seconds abs)
x3 speed: 19 seconds avg (57 seconds abs)

Tested with digging errands. This leads to only ~10 tasks getting done in one cycle on x3 speed.

Steps to Reproduce

Land a Rover on a planetoid and watch for long breaks between tasks.

• Like 1
  • Potato Cup 1

User Feedback

One more data point on this.  The rover will "think" while the game is paused too.   You can make it mine continuously by pausing the game after every action.  The rover will stay idle for ~5 (real world) seconds then pickup a new task.  Once it's status changes to "mining" or "going to mine" unpause the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

32 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

One more data point on this.  The rover will "think" while the game is paused too.   You can make it mine continuously by pausing the game after every action.  The rover will stay idle for ~5 (real world) seconds then pickup a new task.  Once it's status changes to "mining" or "going to mine" unpause the game.

Interesting, thanks for the hint!

Share this comment

On 6/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, ghkbrew said:

This sounds like standard dupe thinking, but applied to rovers.

As the list of tasks all the various dupes can do grows, and the lists of dupes which can do tasks grows, it starts to take longer for each to think and decide which task to do. Your computer simply takes longer to go through it all and have dupes decide on stuff.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Nematrec said:

This sounds like standard dupe thinking, but applied to rovers.

As the list of tasks all the various dupes can do grows, and the lists of dupes which can do tasks grows, it starts to take longer for each to think and decide which task to do. Your computer simply takes longer to go through it all and have dupes decide on stuff.

Agreed.  However, the rovers are still significantly slower at "thinking" than dupes for no obvious reason. I suspect the AI for rovers is de-prioritized compared to dupes and thus takes longer to get processed. 

But it doesn't really matter why it's happening, it still makes the rovers significantly less useful than a player might expect.  It's reasonable that the rovers have limited capabilities.  I just don't think this is a reasonable one.  Either it's an intended limitation, but can be gotten around by pausing the game (which I would classify as a bug) or it's an unintended limitation (and thus also a bug)

Share this comment

Another case where the AI "optimization" causes problems. I hope Klei will find a way to properly fix AI someday, without ugly hacks like this.

Share this comment