Repeatable Crash on Rocket Landing

freshcitrus
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

My game reliably and repeatedly crashes when this particular rocket lands. I've launched and landed plenty of other rockets, maybe 10~15 times so far this game, and I don't believe I've ever had a crash on rocket landing until now. I have reproduced this crash twice now, though.

Player.log Quarantined Factory s060 landing.sav

Steps to Reproduce

1. Load save

2. Unpause

3. Wait 6 seconds for rocket to land

4. See crash report screen ("eaten by a black hole" screen).

Quarantined Factory s060 landing.sav Player.log

User Feedback

Looks like the important log line is: "[02:10:57.169] [1] [ERROR] Assert failed: Tried to burn more oxidizer than was available in rocket 0.0008544922:Sol II"

Although I've launched plenty of rockets, this is only my second time using a petroleum engine, and my first time where the oxylite was used up to the last atom. I previously had typed "300" kg on the oxidizer tank, set it at priority 10, and waited for it to be hand-loaded. Then the rocket traveled 4 tiles, which requires exactly 300kg oxylite. There's probably some floating point roundoff involved there.

I would suggest doing one or more, preferably all, of the following:

1. Store oxylite as an uint64_t number of micrograms (since micrograms seem indivisible in this game anyway), not as a floating point number.

2. Use the same equation to check for range before the trip, and subtract fuel/oxidizer during transit, so there can't be any miscalculation.

3. Only check the available fuel/oxidizer when setting the course. If the actual fuel level goes negative during travel after the course is set, just set it to zero.

I have debug mode enabled. Is there any debug workaround here? I've already used debug to correct multiple bugs on this save file, so I can't get achievements anyway.

Share this comment

Is this happening on Stable or Beta branch? I've had this happen in Stable version and after switch to Beta branch I was able to land the rocket.

Share this comment

I tried the beta. The rocket can land, but there are more frequent crashes with the beta:

1. The beta crashes when I load the list of saves. I can only load a save by using the "resume" button.

2. The beta crashes when I open the main menu (either by mouse or by Esc key) so there is no way to save after the rocket lands.

Edit: attached is a log of a crash on opening main menu, just after loading the save file.

Player.log

Edited by freshcitrus
attach log

Share this comment

Looks like the important log line is: "[02:10:57.169] [1] [ERROR] Assert failed: Tried to burn more oxidizer than was available in rocket 0.0008544922:Sol II"

the bug has been corrected in update 450552 (beta branch) , apparently, it is not totally fixed ?? ;) 

Share this comment

The negative oxidizer bug looks fixed in beta. But the beta has other bugs -- like crashing on opening the list of saves from the main menu, and crashing on opening the pause menu with the Esc key.

Share this comment