Game Doesn't Start On PC

vonVile
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

With the DLC installed after clicking on the ONI icon a Steam window opens up for a split second and immediately closes. No ONI icon appears in the Task Bar or Task Manager window.

Computer:

- Windows: 8.1

- Processor: Pentium G2020T

- RAM: 8 Gigs

- 64-bit

The standard game runs great even on this old computer, so I don't understand why with the DLC installed it won't even begin to start.

Steps to Reproduce

Double click ONI icon and nothing happens.

Nothing appears in the log file, because the game never loads to save a report.

User Feedback

When was the last time you ran the base game on this computer? Have you ever been able to run the DLC?

Could you please post your DxDiag file so we can take a look.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 2/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, EricKlei said:

When was the last time you ran the base game on this computer? Have you ever been able to run the DLC?

Could you please post your DxDiag file so we can take a look.

I play the base game all the time and just deleted my last save a few days ago to start a fresh one. I wanted to see if old saves caused the problem with loading the DLC, since I heard that was a problem.

It's just the DLC loading that I'm having a problem with and I've been searching to find the how to fix the problem. It doesn't seem to be Avast anti-virus, since turning it off or using Exceptions doesn't work.

Here's an old thread with 2 other people having the same problem:

DxDiag.txt

Edited by vonVile

Share this comment

Hello,

Can you try adding "-force-glcore" to the Launch Options in Steam (right click Oxygen Not Included -> Properties) and see if that fixes the crash.

Thanks!

Edited by Ipsquiggle
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

DxDiag.txt

Getting this same thing. Just started on me today. Been playing ONI:Spaced Out awhile and have a few saves in the steam cloud. ONI without the DLC works just fine (non-dlc starts and loads up one of my old saves). ONI with the DLC, you hit play in Steam or from desktop shortcut, it acts like it's loading, and then it just goes away (play button shows in steam, desktop does nothing) without it showing up in the task bar or anywhere. Uninstalled/reinstalled, verified the files, added "--force-glcore" as suggested to the launch options. The same thing happens no matter what I try.  Tried other games in case it was an issue with my hardware, but they all are working fine.

More technical info if it helps

1.DXdiag is attached.

2. I'm getting a DCOM info message in Windows Event Viewer under system that seems to happen every time I launch:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{37399C92-DC3F-4B55-AE5B-811EE82398AD}
 and APPID 
{37399C92-DC3F-4B55-AE5B-811EE82398AD}
 to the user DESKTOP-ENB4IDP\Scott SID (S-1-5-21-571343059-4075581315-3614449964-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.GamingApp_2102.1001.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe SID (S-1-15-2-1723189366-2159580849-2248400763-1481059666-1951766778-2756563051-3565589001). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The CLSID is the appservice container broker (traced it through the registry and the component services and verified the id).  Not sure if this is related but it's the only thing I could find.  

If you need any other info, I'd be happy to pull and provide it for you.

• Like 1

Share this comment

@keylimepie Thank you for verify that -force-glcore does not fix the crash for you.

Do you mind running through the steps to create a Unity crash dump and uploading the file for us to share with Unity.

Force Applications to Create Dumps

• Open the registry.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting
  • Create LocalDumps folder if it’s not there.
  • Add following keys:
  • “DumpFolder”=<FolderPath goes here> , for example, C:\Temp
  • “DumpCount”=dword:00000010
  • “DumpType”=dword:00000002
  • Launch the application (it can be anything that runs on Windows - Universal Windows Platform or Windows Standalone Executable)
  • Reproduce the crash, the dump file should be created in your specified folder.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsDebugging.htm

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@k_nicole

After doing the above, the game started and let me in (I started it with --force-glcore and without and it worked the same with both).  It did produce dumps in the directory (and they are huge and won't let me copy them here due to size), but lucky for you (LOL), I was a developer/performance tester in another life, so know a couple tricks. I pulled the dumps up in Visual Studio and here are Word docs with the screenshots in them(a word doc for each dump produced).  If you can't view word docs, let me know and I'll do jpgs and upload them. These are the errors I was seeing in windows event viewer in the screenshot.  If you want the whole dumps please let me know how I can get them to you and I'll do it.  I'll check here for instructions, but if you need to contact me outside of here to work out how to transfer the whole files (for secure ftp or something), feel free to contact me at the email in my profile. 

Weird question (since I had something similar happen to me when developing ): could it have just needed a location for the dump file for this error in my registry so it could log it and get past it?  Not sure how ONI error handling works with Unity Error Handling, but wondering if it was requiring something that just didn't exist on my PC and there was no default so it just gave up at that point and the above change just sent it down a code path that made it happy?  I know what you asked me to do was the only thing that changed today that I am aware of.

I'll keep playing with this in and cleaning up the dumps occasionally if it keeps producing them. At least I can get it to run this way.

Let me know if you want me to do anything else and I'll be happy to do it if it's helpful for you.

AppUpdaterDump.docx OriginWebHelperService.docx

Edited by EricKlei
Removed email (we can see it in your profile)
  • Like 1

Share this comment

On 3/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, k_nicole said:

Hello,

Can you try adding "--force-glcore" to the Launch Options in Steam (right click Oxygen Not Included -> Properties) and see if that fixes the crash.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, for not getting back to you sooner. After a few days I didn't think there was going to be immediate response, since I never got a notice. I now just tried this and the game still doesn't load. There has been no difference in how it loads. It looks like keylimepie took up the slack. If you have anything other suggestions to resolve the problem, let me know. Though I'm nowhere near as computer saavy as him. Thanx!

Edited by vonVile

Share this comment

We're still looking into a proper general fix for this, but in the mean time: the original message had two dashes in front of the launch option, but the proper command only has one (-force-glcore). I'm editing k_nicole's reply in case others come across this.

Hopefully that will make the difference, but in any case we're still trying to find a fix.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment