Atmosphere Leaking Across Water Lock

BridgeShadow
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

While using corner water locks to isolate areas and create vacuums between biomes, I kept finding that over time, gasses were being exchanged and my vacuums were disappearing.  I setup notifications in several water lock areas, and found that occasionally, when a duplicant is crossing the water lock, there is an exchange of atmosphere.  This does not always happen, and I have not determined any factors why sometimes crossing the lock leaks atmosphere, but usually it does not.  I have tried with a variety of liquids, such as super coolant and viscogel, but have run into the same behavior.

Broken Water Lock.png

Steps to Reproduce

1. Build a water lock, preferably with a vacuum to make it easier to identify atmosphere leaks

2. Have duplicants in full suits (to prevent breathing contamination) repeatedly cross the lock

User Feedback

And in another case, a puft dropping a slime onto the corner water deleted the water altogether, removing the lock:bad_puft.thumb.png.f88fdc731ca14b001d68aa3e3d477ca8.png

Share this comment

Well I filled the middle tile with full water.. and never had any leackage.

This might classify as new game mechanic instead of a bug you have now have to make actual locks instead of a puddle supposed to seperated atmospheres?

Share this comment

This has been like this (in Spaced Out!) for a long time, when a dupe exhales or polluted dirt/mud or slime/oxylite is present the liquid will be pushed away or even (if it is really small quantity) disappear. I fill the bottom tile with with a heavier liquid like 100kg to 150kg salt water or brine and then mop any leftover from the higher tiles, then then put 200kg of water on top of that. By using 2 liquids and not filling the bottom tile with 1000kg of liquid you can remove the lock by mopping the liquids.

Share this comment

On 5/4/2021 at 1:53 AM, Oxygenbreather said:

Well I filled the middle tile with full water.. and never had any leackage.

This might classify as new game mechanic instead of a bug you have now have to make actual locks instead of a puddle supposed to seperated atmospheres?

Yeah, I've never had a problem with a full water lock either, but the idea is to create a vacuum between the two environments to minimize heat exchange and to minimize the debuff from soaked to just soggy feet.  Can get around be creating two full water locks with a vacuum in between, but that takes a lot of room and has the higher debuff.  I also can't ever remember having the problem with corner locks leaking pre-Spaced Out. 

So recognize this may be a new mechanic or intended behavior, but if not, worth reporting.

Edited by BridgeShadow
Clarity

Share this comment

This is a well-known issue with puddle-locks in Vanilla too, Off-gassing materials such as Oxylite and Polluted Dirt, as well as Dupes with the Flatulent trait, can generate gas on the tile the puddle is on and force it to move; a small enough puddle with no adjacent neighbours of the same material type will end up deleted outright when this happens.

If you expect to be transporting offgassing materials or a Flatulent dupe through the lock you absolutely need to fill the lock with liquid so that the "puddles" are more than about 1800g. If you need a vacuum inside the lock for thermal protection, you'll need to make two separate pool-locks and use the space between them for your vacuum.

I should also note that, in case you missed it, the DLC Oxygen Masks don't block CO2 exhalation, which might be able to also cause puddle deletion, and ABSOLUTELY causes vacuum "contamination" (source: I did this by accident when trying to use the Masks to mine some Lead and Crude Oil out of the second planetoid).

Share this comment