Wild Temp Sensor spikes that don't seem to have a cause

WanderingKid
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Getting some wild temp sensor spikes in a Hydrogen radiator build.  Temperature is changing up to almost 100 degrees F between spikes, then it settles back into what I'd expect a second or two later.  I've seen values between 50 and 100 degree differences on a Tungsten thermometer.  I'm getting a temperature spike 'pulse' for about .5 seconds every 4-5 seconds.  It might have something to do with the valve values from the CO2 feeder, but I couldn't see why.

89mEqUi.jpg

Attached a save file to see if you see what I see.  It's the radiator build in the lower left area of the home base, to the left of the small second water pool.

Pit - 16 - Local CO2 Cooler.sav

Steps to Reproduce
I'm honestly not sure. Build a hydrogen radiator, try to make it break.

User Feedback

My person analysis

How the temp sensor works
Every 200ms, the temperature sensor will record its current temperature. Every 1600ms, the sensor will sum the 8 records and then divide it by 8.

How the strange number happen
When CO2(gas) is cold enough and turn to liquid/solid, a vacuum hole will occupy the CO2 gas's previous position. And the temperature of vacuum hole (0K) will be recorded by the sensor.

Result
Assume the true surrounding temperature is -78.3, and the vacuum hole(-459.67°F) occurs once in the 1600ms.
The average temperature acquired by sensor will be (-78.3*7 + -459.67)/8=-126°F

Like the following photoY4QsGTv.jpg

If twice, the number will be -173.6°F, like this 89mEqUi.jpg

Share this comment

@R9MX4  Wow, that makes perfect sense, if almost impossible to figure out without knowing the 8 averages per 1.6 seconds.  I'm not sure what the best choice to avoid the problem is offhand though.  It certainly causes some rather aggravating results when trying to freeze store CO2, as the transition window from gas to solid is incredibly fast for how small the change window is in temperatures.

Edited by WanderingKid

Share this comment