Water is not flowing correctly on the floor

Khullag
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Pending

Hello duplicants,

While trying to setup water cooling by dripping some water on the floor in one side of the room (e.g. at 2kg/sec rate via valve) and letting it flow to the other side to water pump, I've faced this bug multiple times.

Water just does not take equal space on the floor (it should take all tiles available with mass spread) creating "bubbles" of high-mass water pockets and flooding the equipment i'm trying to cool. Happens often when some resources drop into this liquid on the floor  or when duplicants pass the water zone. Sometimes pockets merge with other pockets by themselves but most of the time I need to put ENORMOUS amount of efforts to fix this water cooling (seriously, it's so annoying that I've registered on forum and filling bug report first time for the game). 

Attached screenshot which shows the water pockets with ~460 kg of water per tile in the pocket. Liquid sensor on the left can't suck all the water out of this room because of this pockets and as result - water cooling is just flooding my equipment.

Please fix this. This issue exists for at least 3 latest upgrades (maybe from the beginning - didn't use water cooling too much then).

PS. I doubt that any of logfiles or DxDiag will help you here, but if you want it from me - I can upload.

water_bug.png

Steps to Reproduce
1. Drip some water on the floor (50-100 kg per tile) 2. Drop some resources in the water or make duplicants walk through this water area. 3. Watch water pockets appear.

User Feedback

This isn't a bug, it's just the effect of the technical limitations on the simulation. Liquids are big blobs instead of tiny microscopic particles so that's how they would act.

Share this comment

This "bubbly" situation happens in room filled with any gas - here my oxygen room just started to work and hasn't pump out all gases that shouldn't be there.

And I disagree - it IS a bug. Liquid is a liquid and the point of it should be that it tries to take even amount of space horizontally if there's enough mass on the floor (like IRL if you drip one glass of water on the floor it will form a "bubble" but if you drip 10 L bucket it will flood all the floor in the room).

If it would be a technical limitation than liquid wouldn't move on the floor at all and would stay in one tile all the time when you drip it. Klei already has mechanisms of spreading the water on some surface and it should be just corrected to force any gas to move up and free the tile on the floor for liquid and correct water behavior when resources drop into the water or duplicants walk in it (these two interactions somehow create pockets of "no-water" on the floor).

• Like 1

Share this comment

41 minutes ago, Khullag said:

If it would be a technical limitation than liquid wouldn't move on the floor at all and would stay in one tile all the time when you drip it. Klei already has mechanisms of spreading the water on some surface and it should be just corrected to force any gas to move up and free the tile on the floor for liquid and correct water behavior when resources drop into the water or duplicants walk in it (these two interactions somehow create pockets of "no-water" on the floor).

As I've explained, liquids are calculated as large blobs, therefore they cannot flow as real liquids do, imagine liquids to be beanbags. For them to create liquids that flow as you are expecting them to would cause the game to run much slower than anyone would call playable.

So are you saying they should increase the requirements to the point few people (if any) could play so that you can get better water?

Share this comment

1 minute ago, AlexRou said:

As I've explained, liquids are calculated as large blobs, therefore they cannot flow as real liquids do, imagine liquids to be beanbags. For them to create liquids that flow as you are expecting them to would cause the game to run much slower than anyone would call playable.

So are you saying they should increase the requirements to the point few people (if any) could play so that you can get better water?

Sure water consists of blobs and is simulated on tile basis (gases also). The main point you ignore for some reason - there's already a mechanism of spreading mass equally within gas/liquid volume (if it wouldn't exist then the whole gas/liquid stuff would be not usable and would be static). And this mechanism of spreading mass should be adjusted to give liquids a priority over the gas.

And just to be clear - I worked with Unity for 3 years and I understand roughly how Klei could do such gas/liquid simulations, so I know that what I'm asking for is doable and if they already have mass-spread mechanics it's all about adjusting it and not writing completely new stuff.

I love this game so much and want it to be perfect. Sorry for that)

• Like 1

Share this comment

I think we should stop this pointless back and forth, just wanted to say if it were that simple/easy then they would've done it long before early access.

Share this comment