Time Frozen But Not, Bathroom Refusal, Limbo Harvest bugs

RemyG
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

Initially from that title I know the knee-jerk reaction is going to be; "Is the game paused?" "Are your lavatories correctly hooked up/do you have dirt?" and so on. Let me preface by saying my colony is 4815 cycles old. I built it to be perfectly sustainable with no interaction required to test how well the game held up running for long periods of time. The following bugs I list are, to my understanding, principally related to glitches in long haul gameplay. My save will be provided.

1. Time Frozen - By this I mean that my cycle speed has slowed down until it is at a permanent stand-still despite multiple reloads, relaunches, verifying game cache, and loading previous cycles. Time is simply frozen. But that isn't enough. See, time is still continuing, but the cycle is not. My dupes now exist in a state of limbo at the end of a night cycle sleeping as they slowly starve, occasionally waking up to pee themselves.

Correction #1; Time is not yet frozen, the cycle is simply moving at around 0.2x normal speed right now. Duplicants are still moving around at x3 speed. Cycles currently last 20 minutes but duplicants move, act, and suffer the penalties/calorie draw/stamina drain of time at x3 speed. This works out to 0.16x game speed.

Correction #2; Time seems to be fluctuating, though duplicant speed and effects remain consistent with x3 speed. The latest cycle to pass was only 15 minutes instead of the previous cycle's 21 minutes. I am not interacting with the game speed adjustments nor using debug, for the record.

2. Bathroom Refusal - I ran out of dirt sometime around cycle 3200 I believe. I converted to lavatories after that. After about 500 more cycles my dupes began to wet themselves in refusal of the lavatories. They are correctly hooked up, fed clean water, ready, no pipe traffic is blocked, and all polluted water is disposed of via peppers which happily consume the refuse. The lavatories worked flawlessly for many hundreds of cycles until the days got longer and eventually stopped altogether. At one point I had 4 lavatories hooked up even and occasionally one or two dupes would use them, leaving two of the others ready, but still the remaining 6 dupes would wet themselves.

3. Limbo Harvest - This primarily tends to happen after running a colony for at least 6 hours. So long as you are active in the game and regularly participating in their activities harvests seem to update just fine as they grow. If, however, you have reached perfect sustainability and decide to let a colony run for as long as possible before the next update breaks it as I did, you will find that plants will either remain in their state just before maturing visually until clicked, appear as mature but no dupe will harvest them until you pan the camera to update them, or appear withered/stifled until clicked/camera pans to update them. They won't self harvest and because their state doesn't change dupes will not tend to them.

While I don't expect many people to encounter these issues I figured it was worth pointing them out. Enjoy the save. DETA stands for Duplicants for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, for the record. Considering the wildlife of the asteroid thrives on pollution my base is built under the premise that pollution IS the solution!

DETA Cycle 4815.sav

Steps to Reproduce
As far as I am aware these glitches are exclusive to colonies several thousand cycles old.

User Feedback

Your 14.4 MB save is using 2.77MB just for daily reports and have only used 3690810 ids. Fascinating.

What is more amusing is that you still have 167 spawners active. They must be getting replenished at some point.
2 of which are methane geysers. Questionable.

Share this comment

Nothing is really seeming out of place relating to the clock. Doesn't appear to be floating point errors.
Yet setting the time value, which was at 2888405.25, to 0 restores the game to full speed.
This brings it back to cycle 1. None of the other time related values are playing any part in this bug.

Share this comment

Colony was officially lost on cycle 4821's long night. That morning Leira died from starvation overnight and in their mourning the night of 4821 dragged on longer than normal and everyone starved in their sleep. It was a fun experiment while it lasted.

Share this comment

On 21.6.2017 at 10:36 PM, Risu said:

Nothing is really seeming out of place relating to the clock. Doesn't appear to be floating point errors.
Yet setting the time value, which was at 2888405.25, to 0 restores the game to full speed.
This brings it back to cycle 1. None of the other time related values are playing any part in this bug.

My gut feeling (without having looked at the code) is that the game iterates through the list of reports to find the one for the active cycle so it can update the values there, as that list gets longer the game spends more and more on this till it comes to an effective standstill...

Share this comment