The game crashes before the menu appear

GregorioTkotz
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hi
Since the release, every time I try to start a game, the Klei logo appears and then goes to the crash report screen "Help! A black hole ate my game!", but if i click to send a report, it says to wait and does nothing. I'm using steam and already did everything in every troubleshooting I could find. I have no Idea what is causing this, as I could play the game without problems before.

output_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce
It happens as i try to open the game.

User Feedback

[04:13:38.571] [1] [INFO] An Unauthorized Access Error occurred when trying to write to disk.
Please check that you have permissions to write to:
C:/Users/grego/OneDrive/Documentos/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/mods/mods.json

Did you do that?

Share this comment

I'm Trying To Open The Game Too, But I'm Not Even Getting An Crash Report Screen, It Just Closes Itself. I'll Just Keep On Trying To Open The Game.

Update: Started Steam In Offline Mode, Loaded On Up!

Edited by MildManner
Working Now

Share this comment

13 hours ago, Gummymummyhello said:

This issue is happening on my account as well. I just purchased it and it shows "a black hole ate my game"

Screenshot (1).png

The exact same thing is happening to me and it doesn't even let me report it! I think it has something to do with my computer but it does match all the requirements.

Share this comment

@GregorioTkotz After looking into the log files and discussing this reported issue further with our dev team, we have found that the problem is that Microsoft OneDrive is stopping the game from writing and reading files in C:\Users\{UserName}\OneDrive\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\

Generally, the solution for this issue is to fix the file permissions and ensuring that your Windows User Account has complete administrative permissions to read/write your hard drive, however, we are not equipped with tools nor processes for troubleshooting as it pertains to OneDrive. Even if you are able to see the files in Windows Explorer or if your Windows user account has full administrative privileges, it may not mean that programs running under that user account have write access to those files.

One thing you can try is to rename the Klei folder to Klei.old and then try to run the game. This will try and recreate the required folders (possibly restoring permissions outside of OneDrive)

You can also disable OneDrive so that other, future folders that are created are outside OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

You may also have to contact Microsoft Support for assistance regarding the processes for file permissions (as well as technical support) for OneDrive: https://support.microsoft.com/en/contactus/

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

I found a solution.
I had to disable my virus protection program now it is running. Devs please fix it <3

I use Bitdefender.
  • Like 1

Share this comment

I also experiencing the same issue. I had my:

• Microsoft Security Essentials (antivirus) disabled
  • Check all game directory permissions
  • Uninstall/reinstall the game
  • Rebooted my PC
  • Check log for any obvious issue

Any help is highly appreciated, because this is the first game in my Steam library (out of hundreds), that didn't work at all :(

Thanks.

output_log.txt

Share this comment

On 8/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, Bluck said:

I also experiencing the same issue. I had my:

• Microsoft Security Essentials (antivirus) disabled
  • Check all game directory permissions
  • Uninstall/reinstall the game
  • Rebooted my PC
  • Check log for any obvious issue

Any help is highly appreciated, because this is the first game in my Steam library (out of hundreds), that didn't work at all :(

Thanks.

output_log.txt

Ok, I've moved install directory from SSD drive to an old one generic SATA drive and that fixed the issue for me. (at least game launches to menu now :) )

That's weird, because my 512 GB SSD drive is 100% dedicated to my Steam library with zero issues so far. 

Share this comment