Sweepy Makeover! PLEASE!

Sasuga
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I've looked around and it seems a lot of people have problems with Sweepy. I mean, why bother even using Sweepy if you can throw an auto-sweeper up that'll work faster and WILL ACTUALLY DO THE JOB. Oh, wait, sweepy cleans up wet stuff and an auto-sweeper won't, that's right.

There are lots of problems with Sweepy, not least of which is that it doesn't seem to be a priority to be emptied by any of my dupes. Low priority, high priority, it doesn't matter, there's no errands to clean it out. In the past I've used auto-sweepers to clean it out, but the auto-sweeper can't clean out liquids and polluted water (the main reason I'll use a sweepy is to clean up a mess that gets made in the event that my plumbing fails for some reason) will continue to pump polluted oxygen into the air and will never be emptied out.

image.png.1008dd28c0c21b624f6648bf4fa2ddc1.png

image.png.af2d9042c1e490da45da474f5b239b7c.png

I would like to see a sweepy overhaul!

First, sweepy should be faster at cleaning things up. Sweepy should be at least as fast as an auto-sweeper would be for cleaning up solids. Sweepy should also clean up liquids as it is the main benefit of a sweepy over the auto-sweeper.

Secondly, sweepy should have a liquid exit port, and while I can setup a system with an auto-sweeper to empty sweepy, perhaps sweepy should have a solids exit port as well that will put what it empties into the dock on a solid's rail to be moved off and sorted or disposed off elsewhere. We're aiming for lazy dupes here, why should a dupe have to empty the sweepy at all when we can have sweepy empty itself into pipes and the conveyer rail network.

This would not only fix this bug, but also make sweepy very useful instead of (well right now broken) kinda useful and really sort of a waste, since I can have a dupe clean up a mess quicker than this thing and a dupe still has to empty it anyway (EXCEPT THEY DON'T, right now. But, with this upgrade they won't have to!).

Steps to Reproduce

Create a sweepy dock.

Fill the sweepy dock with refined metal to make a sweepy.

Let the sweepy clean up stuff and then go to the dock and drop the stuff off until the dock is filled up.

Wait forever as the dock is never emptied and no errands to empty the dock are created.

User Feedback

I mean, Sweepy can move across the ground slowly, but it should pick up as much material in a squat as an auto-sweeper holds. Maybe Sweepy can hold more material than an auto-sweeper before going back to the dock? I think Sweepy already holds more material than an auto-sweeper before going back to the dock? That's fine and dandy.

The main thing is, it is not emptying and it should be able to empty liquids without dupe intervention (and solids too!)

Share this comment

If I may:

Errands are generated at the destination point for the materials sweepy has collected. Storage bins with a "sweep only" or bottle emptiers are recommended spots to check for the errand.

I agree that sweepy should be able to take more material per sweep opportunity. Buffing the amount would be great.

I would argue this post goes into the "suggestions and feedback" part of the forum.

• Like 1

Share this comment

You're missing the biggest upside of sweepys - you can place cute artifacts on them

• Like 1

Share this comment

6 hours ago, JRup said:

If I may:

Errands are generated at the destination point for the materials sweepy has collected. Storage bins with a "sweep only" or bottle emptiers are recommended spots to check for the errand.

I agree that sweepy should be able to take more material per sweep opportunity. Buffing the amount would be great.

I would argue this post goes into the "suggestions and feedback" part of the forum.

Since I was seeing no errands being generated for Sweepy, I started this as a bug report. It does also include the suggestion and the title makes it sound like a suggestion. It is both, but inseparable in my opinion.

Now that I see that I was in error, and not the game, it is only a suggestion, I agree.

I never noticed the "Sweepy Only" option and what if I want the storage bins to be "Sweepy plus anything?" I'm confused, why should they be sweepy only to work? Shouldn't the docks be emptied and sorted to any storage bin?

Share this comment

6 minutes ago, Sasuga said:

Sweepy Only

Sweep only, not sweepy. Meaning any sweep errands. Sweepy's storage is considered a sweep errand

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Sasuga said:

I never noticed the "Sweepy Only"

Setting a storage bin or a bottle emptier to "sweep only" will most likely become a target for sweep errands generated by the player as well as by sweepy's dock; dupes also like to steal stuff from sweepy itself once it's picked stuff up, however. Of noteworthy status is that "sweep only" was a thing before Sweepy came to be from the brains up in Klei. (Not "Sweepy only", sorry. :D)

It'd be great if the actual materials (or sweepy/associated dock) had a note to indicate something in the order of "Check destination storage(s) for more info." in their errands tab as this is a common issue that crops up from time to time (more often than you'd suspect).

Share this comment

If it was something they emptied like an incubator or declinator, that would probably help a bit, maybe?

It's been hours since I posted this and I've been playing the entire time (I've got a cold or flu or COVID (or something) and playing helps me not remember I'm sick), and they still have not emptied the sweepy. I have storage bins on "sweep only" and others not on sweep only, I have storage bins on 1, 2, and 7 (edit, not 8), and I have sweepys on 1 and 8, and they haven't emptied them yet.

Also, I have dupes dedicated to Life Support, dupes dedicated to Supply, and dupes dedicated to Storage. I don't know which category of errand it is, but I feel like it would be Supply or Storage and it is not getting done.

Oxygen Not Included - Sweepy Won't Empty 2 - 2024.03.23.zip

Edited by Sasuga

Share this comment

Things we cannot see in this clip:

1. Door permissions.

Can any other dupe besides Nails access this dock at the moment? Nails may be locked in, but other dupes having access to the area can still have the task to themselves and set to other storage option. Other duplicants except for the "volunteer" must be excluded from the area.

2. Dock contents.

Only the materials shown for reception in the storage bin are shown. We cannot see what the dock has so where it goes is yet to be seen.

The zipped file included in your post does not have a save file to check even further so that's as far as I go.

Share this comment

On 3/24/2024 at 7:01 AM, JRup said:

Things we cannot see in this clip:

1. Door permissions.

Can any other dupe besides Nails access this dock at the moment? Nails may be locked in, but other dupes having access to the area can still have the task to themselves and set to other storage option. Other duplicants except for the "volunteer" must be excluded from the area.

2. Dock contents.

Only the materials shown for reception in the storage bin are shown. We cannot see what the dock has so where it goes is yet to be seen.

The zipped file included in your post does not have a save file to check even further so that's as far as I go.

Fair points. The bin was set accept things from the sweepy, that I'm certain of. Other dupes might have had access, I can't recall... I think I only locked nails in. I'll reperform the experiment in a little while and report back the results.

(Still haven't reperformed the experiment yet.)

It would be nice if it showed information in the errands list.

Share this comment