[SU-291640] Out of focus falling regolith ignores floors

DaveSatx
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

I keep mining regolith along my upper transit tube, well i used to, and it keeps falling in.  despite 2  floors between space and the tube.

I did some testing and learned that the tube doesn't get blocked (and obv not melted in this instance) by the falling regolith so i'm going to switch to ignore it
but it is enough of a bug to report since it is very illogical and could potentially cause heat and other problems,.

edit: I do not use fast forward of any kind normal time flow only.

Snapshot-29.png

Dimension Sixty Nine.sav

Steps to Reproduce
build as shown (upper layer of bunker, two lower spaced-out layers of a normal floor and come back after awhile. find more regolith

User Feedback

Snapshot-33.thumb.png.c0f10b6c223e4f5ff8bd125f2a9cb886.png

20 or so cycles later i found this.  

I got lost in the forums when i came back to post this and when i flipped back I found more. lol.

Share this comment

a whole lot of cycles later i've noticed that the regolith isn't entombing my batteries when it 'drops'.  i've found some material quite a ways down in the world that just appeared.

just now I was watching my blast doors fubar around during a meteor shower (and drain the batteries) when the shower ended this tile of raw un-mined iron ore appeared on top of my solar panel... something weird is going on :)  The entombment icon came to my attention as it appeared just as the scanners switched to all clear.   I've attached an updated save in the event  that helps..

I also noticed that the piles of mined material on top of the diamond glass panels would move around to the left or right as impacts occurred on the other side of the door.  perhaps the AOE is penetrating the door?

Snapshot-34.png

Dimension Sixty Nine.sav

Share this comment

I don't understand exactly what you're saying here. Are you talking about the "tiles" of regolith (as opposed to the little debris piles)? Those are probably being pooped out by Shove Voles who are eating the debris piles. The iron ore may have come from the same place (you may have deconstructed something made from iron ore, then the shove vole ate it before you picked it up).

Meteor impacts can go one square "through" a bunker or door but not more than that, I think.

If you have an example where the shove voles are pooping out regolith tiles, but those tiles aren't entombing batteries, that could be a bug.

Share this comment

Sorry if I seem vauge; i'm referrring to unmined full tiles such as the 400Kg iron ore in the last pic and the afore mentioned random tiles of regolith (unmined) popping up so far from the upper layer. those tubes were completely cleared 2 times before I posted the intial bug.

if its shove voles.. they shouldn't me creating unmined tiles from thin air. 

my initial assumption that it was falling regolith may be false as it now seems the game is just creating tiles.

there was no vole near the above mention solar panel - i was watching when it went entombed.

I really wish I'd taken a screen shot of those tiles on top of some batteries.  ah well, when it happens again I will.

I should have already mentioned that I run no mods and  never enabled debug mode

Share this comment

The shove voles eat regolith that's sitting on the ground, and then a little while later they...produce...half as much as they just ate. That's one way that the little triangle-shaped debris can turn into tiles. (I still don't understand what the rules are for when something becomes a tile and when it just becomes an item. I wish I did.) This is why my Shove Vole Farm has two autominers in it.

Share this comment

those voles poop out unmined tiles.. just realized it and came back here to post.  sigh.  i think im going to set about exterminating these annoying f*&*(&*&*^&*(

Share this comment

Thanks for taking the time to work through this @DaveSatx, and thanks @creidieki for helping diagnose it. This tile-creating behavior is indeed the design of the Voles, but I can understand that it was confusing to understand. We'll look in to making it more clear what's going on here.

• Like 1

Share this comment