Requiring a Log-File is a really bad idea

Gurgel
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

I noticed that bug reports now require a log file. That is a bad idea for several reasons:

- I do not have a log file in the location stated

- It may prevent people from reporting bugs, especially more general ones. Reporting a bug must be _easy_!

- The requirement is easily circumvented, see this report

Steps to Reproduce

Try to report a bug

• Like 1

User Feedback

It is not the reporting of the bugs that should be made easier, it is the resolving of the bugs that should be made easier. And that is why Klei is now requiring this. The majority of responses from the developers is typically “please provide the log file” or “please provide the save file”. They need this information to do anything with the reports; they cannot  do anything with “it breaks” as a report and need actual data to investigate.

I think this is a great move on their part. As for your first point, I agree that should be clarified/corrected. The third point, they should not have to take additional precautions for people being malicious. They are trying to help players; players should try to help the developers.

Share this comment

On 4/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, yoakenashi said:

The third point, they should not have to take additional precautions for people being malicious.

Excuse me? "Malicious"? I could not have made my last error reports if I had not circumvented this broken requirement! Maybe I should just not have bothered if what I did is now classified as "malicious"...

Your approach will just drive people away. Not a good idea at all.

Edited by Gurgel
typo
  • Like 1

Share this comment

The issue is that the log file isn't in the location described in the instructions.

The instructions say the location is at /Steamapps/etc/etc/output_log.txt

The real location is %appdata%/LocalLow/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/output_log.txt

I'm guessing the instructions are just really old, and nobody ever updated them.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Good call on the logs location, we'll correct that in the instructions.

As for whether logs or saves should be required, we're approaching this as an empirical test. If we're able to close more bugs effectively, then the trade-off is worth it. If not, or if it appears we're losing visibility on important bugs, we'll go back to making it optional. Thanks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Share this comment