Replacing Gas Permeable or Mesh tile with other tile cause pressure damage when adding wire or pipe

Acciyn
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

I've been experimenting with making a farming area, using insulated tiles, gas pumps, thermo regulators and wheezeworts to keep the area at optimal temperatures. While building this, I started noticing that whenever my dupes would try to build gas pipes where I had already places insulated tiles, the tiles would be destroyed. Taking a closer look at them while they're building, I noticed that the game would say the tiles were taking 'pressure damage', hence why I say they are destroyed and not deconstructed.

Insulated tiles can still be rebuilt on top of the gas pipes after the pipes have been constructed without any issue.

Edit: After putting in some time testing what was happening, I've discovered that the problem seems to be with Gas permeable and Mesh tiles. If you build any other tile on top of them, and then try to build any pipe or a wire inside the new tile, the bug triggers. Saving and loading fixes the problem, even if a dupe is in the middle of building something that caused pressure damage. As a side note, building a Gas Permeable tile and then building a Mesh tile on top of it, then building a wire or any type of pipe into it causes the mesh tile to get stuck in a loop if taking infinite pressure damage without being destroyed, and the construction of the wire or pipe is never finished. The same does not happen if you build Gas permeable over top of Mesh tile then try to build wire or pipe into it, nor does replacing any solid type of tile with another seem to cause any issue.

The Bustling Base.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Edit: Build Gas Permeable or Mesh tile, then build any other type of tile "on top" of that tile, then try to build any pipe or a wire inside it.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

I tried it and then tried even loading your base and running it and dupes were happily building gas pipes inside insulated tiles with no problems. Does it do that for you even if you restart the game and load the save?

Share this comment

I loaded up the save again and my dupes where happy just building the gas pipes without destroying my insulated tiles with pressure damage. However, I then tried building wires into a different (constructed during the same play -session without restart or reload- if that makes a difference) set of insulated tile and again, those tiles were destroyed due to pressure damage.

This leads me to suspect that the bug only occurs for tiles (I've only seen it happen with insulated tiles) built during the same session as the wires or pipes you try to add to it. Haven't tried it with liquid pipes yet, but that might produce the same result.

Share this comment

I think I've figured it out after a bit of testing. I've edited my original post to include more accurate information on the bug.

Share this comment

I usually get the pressure damage bug when replacing floor tiles with mesh tiles with pre-existing wires and liquid pipes.  There is no water on the tiles, but the newly built mesh tiles go into a perpetual state of "pressure damage" (while never actually being destroyed by it), usually accompanied by a dupe stuck in the "dig" animation projected onto the tile (no kidding).  I just disable auto-repair, deconstruct, and rebuild the tile.  

The other problem is building pipes (of both varieties) and/or wires through pre-existing floor tiles, which destroys the tile.  This happens far more regularly, and on every type of tile.  

Seems to be related to another problem I posted about here where the game seemed to think that built tiles were natural tiles. 

Share this comment

On 29. 6. 2017 at 2:55 PM, Acciyn said:

I think I've figured it out after a bit of testing. I've edited my original post to include more accurate information on the bug.

I still can't make it happen to me.

RFCoInf.jpg

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I still can't make it happen to me.

RFCoInf.jpg

I didn't mean "on top of" as literally meaning above them. I meant it as replacing the GP or mesh tile with a different tile.

Pressure bug 1.mp4

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Acciyn said:

I didn't mean "on top of" as literally meaning above them. I meant it as replacing the GP or mesh tile with a different tile.

Okay, that works for me too. Interesting find.

I don't generally replace tiles that way because it makes you lose material of the original tile (which is IMO also a bug that should be fixed). I noticed in this case you lose the material of the tile too. It's not deconstructed, it disappears.

nRRUMN5.jpg

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

I noticed in this case you lose the material of the tile too. It's not deconstructed, it disappears.

Yeah, from what I can tell, the tile is destroyed by pressure damage, so the material is lost. Same as if say you were trying to store too much water in too weak a structure. The most curious thing about it imo is that if you replace a GP tile with a mesh tile and then try to add something to it, the mesh tile gets stuck in a loop of taking constant pressure damage from the building assignment without ever breaking. It doesn't do that if you replace a mesh tile with a GP tile however.

Share this comment