Pressure gets lower and lower

SchlauFuchs
  • Pending

I played the game a third time now, learning the mechanics. I noticed that the pressure in my asteroid drops with time, and even with 12 electrolyzers the atmosphere got so thin with time that the plants did not grow anymore, and the Dupies were dying from starvation and suffocation.  Before they die they make it really hard to keep everything going, their high stress level makes them attack the hamster wheels, batteries and food sources permanently. 

Losing the atmosphere seems to be my biggest problem here, I do not know how to avoid that. Is there a kind of material that sucks my air away? In my latest game I was not even that far, about 14 Dupies populated the place.

I attached the latest savegame, it's a desparate place, half of the Dupies are already dead.

Asteroid Cycle 35.7z

Steps to Reproduce
Hard to say - take a look at the savegame and tell me where TF the air is gone.

User Feedback

The duplicants inhale more oxygen than they exhale CO2 and digging out tiles turn them to vacuum - which explains the lowering pressure.

Several problems with the Oxydisers:

• gas pump/filter setups currently destroy gas, so a good part of the oxygen you create just vanishes
  • they are currently bugged in themself and only run the moment a water packet arrives
  • you enclosed them in a tiny space, so they shut down from high pressure frequently
  • you don't have enough power to run them continuously

Edited by Masterpintsman

Share this comment

Stuck in traffic (Verkehersstau^^)

Too much gas for too few pipes! A lot of the gas is just stuck in your pipe system, waiting for other blobs to move...

U need seperate pipes for that many pumps. Why move the steam into the main pipe just to filter it out again 2 tiles further ? Because the pipes are overloaded, the pumps cant pump effectiveliy, so there is too much gas around the electrolysers, so they have to wait too... The gas filter on the top level next to your storage has its output connected to another output, gas is changing flow direction now and then, and the hydrogen flows a circle .. u name it :D 

If gas is missing anywhere, it gets destroyed in the pipes where the blobs change flow direction i think. Too many connections and crossroads. Use one pipe for one purpose only, so u need less filters, they also slow things down. 

Have fun!

Share this comment

Okay it makes a little sense now so I will look into the mentioned issues. BTW what is the current update cycle of the game? I am here only since three days...

Cheers,

Kai

Edited by SchlauFuchs

Share this comment

I tried another asteroid again. Until roughly cycle 30 my caves had satisfying pressure, while I had still algae deoxydizers running. When algae got rare, I added air scrubbers and suddenly the cave gets vacuumed. Until recently (cycle 40) I had not the science to build a hydrogen generator, but when I got one, I built one together with 4 electrolyzers - but the output of that is not strong enough to support the consume of 11/12 Duplos .

Share this comment

One electrolyzer running continously should be able to support 8.8 duplicants with oxygen (888g/s for the electrolyzer vs. -100g/s per duplicant), given the numbers in the description.

The current bugs lead to not all water arriving as oxygen (lost in plumbing) and the electrolyzers not running constantly (only running one cycle when a water packet arrives), the problem gets worse when you put them into an area with high pressure so that they additionally shut down from that.

Next update (aimed for the 15. as a preview and one week later as general release) is said to fix the first two problems (according to last nights stream).

Switch to electrolyzers (and very few algae farms to remove CO2) asap for the moment.

Edited by Masterpintsman
added the tip

Share this comment

Thanks for the answer. I think we are talking about two different issues. I had that permanent pressure loss before I started with electrolyzers - but even if the water is lost in them it would not equate to a immense pressure loss in my structures. This was observable also without almost any digging. The pressure dropped from well above 1000g/unit to about 60g and lower, within minutes. I had not had a single gas pipe installation.

Share this comment

Looked again at your save:

• you have plenty of expansion going, new empty tiles start with a vacuum -> lowers the total pressure as the gas disperses
  • you boxed in the electrolyzers, making them ineffective as one gas pump can only move 500g/s
  • 13 dupes remove nearly 1.3kg of gas per second

Try the attached modified save, I planned some changes that should rescue your colony - just set the new gas filter (topside at the hydrogen generator) wdto hydrogen when it's built.

Oh, and connect the lower gas pump to the gas pipe when the filter there had been destroyed.

This should and give you (and them) time to breath...

Asteroid (fix).sav

Edited by Masterpintsman
slight improvements to the save

Share this comment

Yes, but I started a new asteroid since then to avoid the problems mentioned above, to be sure that it won't be a problem this time. The pressure loss is visibly bad from the moment when I switch from algae deoxidizers  to electrolyzers. In my new asteroid I had a permeable floor for the electrolyzers so that the oxygen could escape through the floor and the gas pump was responsible for the hydrogen mainly. Still used a filter to just let hydrogen be pumped to the generator. Four electrolyzers, now more regularly pumping were not enough to generate enough pressure for 8-11 Duplicants that were only digging to gain access to remaining algae, coal and to high pressure cavities to get more pressure again. Digging was not the main problem, because most of my Duplicants had to run the hamster wheels to make the electrolyzers and gas scrubbers running - to a point where they had to neglect food production and still the pressure was falling below where the plants are developing.

I attached the most recent savegame - digging planned there is only executed if I set a priority >7 on them.

Impenetrable Settlement.7z

Share this comment

8 hours ago, SchlauFuchs said:

Additional Question: When building walls, is the air in that fields pushed aside or lost?

Its lost! So only construct (solid) blocks when u have to, or in times of low pressure. Only use mesh tiles in water. Airlocks also destroy gas when they close, so avoid them in your base.

But the most gas is "destroyed" by dupes, i recommend to try a game with only 4-6 dupes, only take in new dupes if your pressure is very stable AFTER you made the switch to ONE electrolyser, that should be enough. Seriously, im running my base with 7 dupes in cycle 300 and one electrolyser is all i ever needed! Air scrubbers seem pointless to me, i never use them, since there are so many ways to get rid of co2. I seal of a mined out cavern and pump in all the co2 through a filter. done. Early game i dig a hole to catch the co2, if its gets up, dig out a couple tiles. done. U could even just destroy it by building blocks on it, or build a tunnel with airlocks :D But i prefer the pumping over exploiting.

Share this comment