Please only use Watts to measure power!

Sorcha Aherne
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Pending

Not sure where to post this, but here goes:

I'm extremely frustrated by the fact that everything power-related is measured in the units of kJ, Joules, or Watts, when it really should be simplified to just Watts. I'm having a really infuriating time trying to understand the difference between kJ and Watts, and why it has to be so complicated. 

I love this game, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to "convert" and do the math when trying to create new power plants/circuits/what have you. When I ask others for support, I get a lot of head scratching and more "it's too difficult to explain"-type answers. Can you please just simplify the units of measurement to just one?

Thanks so much

Steps to Reproduce
I was just trying to build a power plant, and it's too complicated to understand

User Feedback

Joules and watts are technically different. In fact it's not complicated. 

Watts are used to measure the power you can create per second. 

Joules are used to measure the quantity of power stored. 

If you have a 4000J battery (like a big transformer) and a 800W generator. You will need 5 seconds to charge it. 

Now for a 40kJ battery with 3 hydrogen generators. That is 2400W. You'll need around 17 seconds to charge it. 

Joules and watts are converted to a 1:1 ratio. I was lost before but when you get the hang of it, it's more clear ^^

@Sorcha Aherne

Edited by Christophlette
  • Like 3

Share this comment

Watts = Joules per second.
If something requires 120W then it will consume 120J every second. 40 000J battery may supply 120W device for roughly 333 sec. (40000 / 120).

• Like 1

Share this comment

Power is measured in watts.  Energy is measured in Joules.  They are different things and thus, use different units.

Share this comment

granted the ingame info is mixed up about it on several cases too.

take this picture for instance it isn't power but energy.

5ba56c6693094_ONIpowerenergy.thumb.jpg.096528707e35b1307bcee083a5c2daa9.jpg

Share this comment