Perpetual motion of gas/liquid in pipes

dnkm
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

I just watched skye storme's hydrogen bubbler on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4sKlv081To&t=2560s and I must say I am pretty disappointed In real life, the hydrogen will quickly stop flowing once the pump is switched off and the gas/liquid inside the pipe reaches equilibrium.

Gases and liquids in pipes shouldn't behave any differently from gases and liquids in an enclosed space outside the pipes albeit in a much longer and smaller enclosed space. Water should still flow downhill. Poo water aka sewerage should still flow downhill. We don't need a pump. That's how it works in real life and in-game (when not in pipes), I don't see why gases and liquids should behave any differently just because they are in a different vessel call pipes rather than say two row of tiles that encloses said gases or liquids.

Steps to Reproduce
Follow Skye's design on the youtube link provided
  • Like 1

User Feedback

While this sounds good in theory, this would need a massive overhaul of the simulation which would most likely increase the minimum requirements of the game to an unreasonble level.

Also the question if that would be more fun to play with than the current version, as in the end it's a game and should be fun...

Share this comment

I think you have a much "grander" vision than what I described. So I have to disagree. All I am asking is for the behavior of gases/liquids inside pipes to be altered such that this perpetual motion nonsense is stopped. Further to that, I am asking the developers to consider gravity and pressure affecting the matter being transported. Lastly, to effect the water flowing downhill without a pump, (let's say the developers have already made the necessary changes aforementioned to simulate gravity in pipes), the artist can make an inlet asset.  Assuming the programmers have adhered to good OO programming principles, I can't imagine it will take a programmer more than a day or two or maybe three days to make the necessary changes. 

Not fixing this and playing it off as more fun seems to me as slack.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, dnkm said:

Assuming the programmers have adhered to good OO programming principles, I can't imagine it will take a programmer more than a day or two or maybe three days to make the necessary changes.

ROFL.

Share this comment

but then I wouldn't be able to put in my creative heat sinks. most of my coolant systems have partial loop mechanics to prevent system stalling and cycle air in and out of the system in a not so glitch manner.

I wouldn't mind seeing the valves changed to a powered impeller. keeping some of the current mechanics as the math in a simulated environment shows this kind of odd math is possible. also considering its in a 2 dimensional space all of the gas piping would fill without pumps if any sections were not specifically closed off from the environment. so the pipes and vents in the simulation are in a state of permanent vacuum. any motion inside the vents or pipes would apply equal pressure along any other uninterrupted section of pipe so motion in this vacuum produces motion. 

a major issue from the current systems is the lack of understanding in air density requirements for intended effects and most of us are guilty of way overshooting the cold mass mark for cooling processes. mg/s are better than kg/s

EE0172D2CF3838D053059AE3C64406390B8DB5AD

and then there is all the fun you can get with programming the loops for either specific thermal densities or color coordination's understanding the mechanism behind the loops a task all of its own and then the valves can be viewed more for its other potentials.

And the gravity in an asteroid would be next to nothing although the game defiantly shows gravity it also shows from the rates of gas motion and the way liquids work that gravity is negligible probably only enough to keep the dupes on the ground but that's about it which also explains why dupes take so little damage from falling and easily carry 500kgs of mass and carry it at full movement speed

Edited by heckubis

Share this comment

I'm very sure that Klei intends on overhauling this. Right now, all pumps do is adding gas from the environment into pipes. From there, the "packet" searches for a path to all the possible "inputs" through pipes and moves. That's it. It's very basic and actually, in my opinion, too crude to be acceptable.

I'm sure they will add pressure, but right now the system works and the focus is on other topics.

Share this comment

I noticed that this problem has went away. Thanks to the developers for the fix.

Share this comment