Oil and Water Don't Mix...Oh, Wait It's ONI

ravalox
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Steam and water is escaping past a crude oil blob lock.  I have reliably used crude blobs in hot fluid use cases until this instance.

The screen cap below is immediately after Quinn entered the geyser, as there is only a single tile at the bottom left that has water drip.  I had recreated the oil lock on left side to ensure steam was not pushing the blob and creating an escape route, which I have seen occur in excessively high pressure scenarios.  Strangely enough, the steam seems to teleport past the blob and instantaneously becomes water; I never saw steam travel to the upper tiles.

20221109033931_1.thumb.jpg.ba019b2d3bd9ff01118acfe1705376fb.jpg

I chose not to mop anything, but not much later, Marie entered the geyser and the water teleported past the crude blob back into the geyser.  That's when I paused, screen capped and laughed my ass off.

20221109034153_1.thumb.jpg.6cd3ef172869fe456f59dc21388c3cbd.jpg

I assume this teleportation has something to do with the door.  I don't know if water/steam will do this with other liquid blobs, I just want it to stop.  Please fix.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. 20221109034153_1.thumb.jpg.f75b564119a5ee087c1a7ce464abf357.jpg

1. Create a descending blob lock to enter an encapsulated steam geyser.
  2. Block exit side of blob with a tile so that pressure cannot push the blob and create an escape route for steam/water.
  3. Block entrance side of blob with a door.
  4. Witness steam/water teleport past crude blob lock.

User Feedback

Due to the order in which the Sim updates tiles, liquids and gases can exchange places around descending corners:

Consider changing the liquid lock to come from the bottom to avoid this behavior.

Share this comment

I think it's steam condensing inside the door as the door closes. The steam teleports in the first free tile going up as it turns into water. The same way airflow tiles teleport gas while it condenses to its liquid form inside an airflow tile. Builds using that "mechanics" of airflow tiles are more common than the ones that use doors to have the same effect.

• Like 1

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Peter Han said:

Due to the order in which the Sim updates tiles, liquids and gases can exchange places around descending corners:

Consider changing the liquid lock to come from the bottom to avoid this behavior.

Thanks for the link.  That explains the water teleport, I guess.  If it's supposed to exchange location with a gas, what happened to the steam it swapped with?  It should have condensed into water, however small the quantity.  I avoid most exploits so these physics engine "features" are definitely not on my radar.

As for the steam escape, sakura_sk seems to be on the right track.  I still think the door is bugging when a third element is present, water in this case.  As the door closes, trapped steam would get pushed into a matching adjacent element tile.  And water shouldn't be teleporting four tiles away, but get deleted just as if constructing a tile over a singular enclosed gas/liquid tile.

It's been quite some time since taming a cool steam vent, and I initially made an ascending lock when vacuuming.  With the blob inside the geyser, the phase change would push the crude to the floor and open an escape path.  I was pushing to get oil and plastic at this point, so due to the space restraints I didn't add tiles to constrain the crude.

20221118041518_1.thumb.jpg.98d618ccdf2cb07b0e8b749884f38215.jpg

Share this comment