Mop exploit

Misca
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

By design, you should only be able to mop up a liquid if there is 150 Kg or less in that tile.  However, if you have a flooding situation and you get the mop command issued before the tile reaches 150 Kg, it will remain no matter how much liquid ends up in the tile.  For example, in the attached picture, there were 2 full tiles of polluted water.  I dug out the tiles around it and then attempted to mop it up once it spread out, not really thinking about how much there would be.  It should have been too much (333 Kg per tile now) however 1 tile was able to get the mop command before it exceeded 150 Kg.   A dup then went in and mopped up almost the entire 2000 Kg because it kept spreading into their mop zone.  Note that the liquid bottles already present were from doing as much cleanup as I could before digging.

Instead, if the amount of liquid exceeds the limit after the mop command has been issued, the command should be cancelled.

Apologies to anyone quietly enjoying this exploit, 

Mop Exploit.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

Issue a mop command on a small amount of liquid.  Then increase the liquid volume beyond what should be the limit (150 Kg).  Note that the mop directive does not get cancelled and all liquid in that tile along with any other liquid that spreads into that tile is mopped up regardless of the new volume.

User Feedback

The mop command will disappear if you have too much liquid and the next tick of the game can increase the volume to 150kg or more. Water will sent 1/4 of it's mass to neighboring tiles each tick. You might be able to mop (in a single tick) more than 150kg of water, but if there is 1000kg next to the tile on both sides, then in the next tick of the game will send in more than 150kg to that tile and deplete the cell. 

Try putting more liquid in, and then repeat.  At that point, the mop command does disappear.

Edited by mathmanican

Share this comment

Hi Mathmanican,

I wasn't sure what you mean by disappearing after a tick, so I did some testing in the sandbox.  I dumped a small amount of water onto the floor and issued a mop command with the area inaccessible.  I then let the pump run and run until the water was almost 2 full tiles deep (I didn't want to just paint in water because that might throw off the mechanics).  As you can see in the first picture, the mop directives are still there.

I then unlocked the door and let the dups loose on it.  As you can see in the second picture, they mopped up the area, filling 5 bottles with 300 Kg of water each, and 1 bottle with 160 Kg.

So, yes, you are correct that after they started mopping, the directive was cancelled, but not before they were able to mop up 300 Kg per tile.  Had the volume not been completely overwhelming but rather was spreading from a dig, I would hazard a guess that you could mop up even more.  And in fact, in my original post, my dups mopped up almost all 2000 Kg of that polluted water just from that 1 mop tile.  I then mopped the rest of the floor to get the last few grams...

To be more true to the spirit of the limitations of the mop tool, my thought is that as soon as the volume in the to-be-mopped tile exceeds 150 Kg, the mop directive should be cancelled.  The mechanism to respond to changing liquid volumes already exists - look at how a building floods and becomes nonfunctional after a certain amount of water is present...

Misca

mop exploit1.png

mop exploit2.png

Share this comment

That's possibly due to the str attribute, maybe the minimum amount they can mop in one tick is 300kg. Are those dups high level ones or are they freshly spawned?

Share this comment

In my initial post, they were quite old (>1000 cycles).  In my second post, they were only 1 cycle old in the sandbox.  Perhaps the max mop per "tick" is 300Kg, but they should never get the chance since the volume limit for a mopped area is supposed to be 150Kg.

Share this comment