Low performances - Unknown source

Nedigo
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I wish I knew where this performance issue is coming from so I'm hoping posting about it will help me and others with a similar problem out.

Unpausing the game on my main save will cap frames at 13 fps - 9 fps if viewing the starmap and 15 fps if I delete most of the maps in sandbox/debug mode. Currently a bit short of 2000 cycles with 7 dupes and 8 asteroids discovered. The savefile was started a few days before the Buff and Shine update.

My sandbox save on 200 cycles with no other planetoids discovered gets 50 fps just fine.

I noticed my frames were getting low at about 20 fps, which was before I started exploring most of the star map. The more I explored the lower the performances got. I'm not sure if this is coincidental, but I wasn't building much at the time either so... maybe discovering new asteroids did this. My RAM is also constantly capped so this might cause issues too.

What is NOT impacting performance:

• Hardware. My cpu runs at 15-30% and gpu is at 20-40%. Doing most of the things below reduces cpu/gpu usage, but fps doesn't increase.
  • Dupes pathfinding. I only have 7 dupes and locking them up or killing them doesn't increase performances.
  • Debris. All my resources are piled up, and locking it away or deleting it in debug doesn't increase performances.
  • Critter pathfinding. No intense ranching. Unless there are 300 Moos stacked inside a cell somewhere, this is probably not the case.
  • Active mods. Disabling all mods doesn't increase performances. Always possible there is a save corruption, though...
  • Corrupted game files. Validating game files doesn't increase performances.
  • Texture/resolution settings. Changing to the lowest doesn't increase performances.
  • Buildings and elements. Deleting all my built structures actually helps performances a bit by giving it roughly 2 more fps.
  • Daily reports. I've installed a mod that deletes all but the last 10, but this didn't increase performances.

Specs:

• Intel quadcore i7-7700HQ
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
  • 12 GB RAM

If anybody could test my savefile and see if they get similar performance drops, this would help me know if this is a problem on my end.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Steps to Reproduce

Simply loading up the save file and unpausing the game.

SaveWithoutMods.sav

Edit: forgot to disable a mod before saving.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

User Feedback

I really believe part of this issue is something to do with the way the game runs. I personally think that even though things aren't drawing in a visible area that it is still "drawing" them. You can see this by hitting alt + s to enable screenshot mode and zooming out all the way and seeing there isn't much difference in being zoomed in or way out on FPS.

I also personally hope the game's asteroids are broken up into smaller areas than just one giant area, but the way the dupe's path finding works it leads me to believe the game is a big area, mostly since the dupes tend to grab stuff near themselves rather than in an area near where a task is.

Edited by oconzer

Share this comment

I tried it out on my system, and i'm not getting the FPS problems at all. It seems to run pretty much perfectly smoothly for me. My system's pretty much identical to yours (i7-8700, 1050 Ti) but with more RAM (32GB). I thought the RAM might be the thing, as my bases do routinely go up to and over 12GB, but this one was only using 8GB or so when i loaded it, so i'm not sure what the actual difference could be.

Edit: although i am running it on Linux... but i shouldn't think that would make such a significant difference.

Edited by Yobbo
  • Like 2

Share this comment

I forgot to mention I'm on Windows 10, and my game is being limited to 4-5 GB of memory (while it still shows 12 GB committed).

It's definitely possible it's an OS related issue.

Share this comment

@Nedigo everyone is having same issues, there are LOTS and LOTS of posts regarding game performance. I have this problem too. Thanks for posting a bug.
@Nedigo @Yobbo check Task manager, the game is not hitting any limits, but still runs with low FPS. It's not the RAM issue. It's a game issue.
Here is a screenshot with a game running at 3x speed at 20-30 FPS, which means scrolling lags already. But no hardware limits are hit yet.

Task manager.png

I've profiled the game a bit, it seems like it can't scale to use CPU properly and runs on 1-2 cores. When I've commented out in-game BrainScheduler which controls dupes and critters I guess, FPS went up by 15, looks like that's where most CPU is used.

Edited by staring_frog

Share this comment

11 hours ago, staring_frog said:

I've profiled the game a bit, it seems like it can't scale to use CPU properly and runs on 1-2 cores. When I've commented out in-game BrainScheduler which controls dupes and critters I guess, FPS went up by 15, looks like that's where most CPU is used.

It's been said over and over that a large chunk of frame time is spent on pathfinding, so it makes sense to find BrainScheduler being the culprit in your case. Also the game runs mostly on 1-2 threads so that adds up too.

But my issue seems to be different... For the simple reasons that deleting all dupes and most critters has no impact, and now that Yobbo mentioned that his system has no problems with my save file.

I'm down to removing the exact line you removed just to see if it helps, but I doubt it'll change at all for this issue.

Share this comment

I would like to point out the issue was NOT resolved in today's big performance optimization update.

I made sure to run the game a few days prior to the update and once again today, but there were no noticeable difference.

Still below 15 fps.

Share this comment