Insulated Tiles Issue

crypticorb
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Fixed

With the new thermal averaging system, I've spent some time testing which material is most ideal for use in insulated tiles (other than abyssalite), and found a few... interesting bugs. These bugs are unrelated to the thermal averaging, please post your opinions on that topic elsewhere.

First: All insulated tiles (possibly all tiles and all structures) display the thermal properties of the base material. In debug, I tested every material possible to construct insulated tiles from, and they all have the same error. They do provide insulation, but not the expected amount, which leads to the second bug.

66666666666666666666666666666.png.b3ee82846b9f02f94224e61ca15e3f34.png66666666666666666666666666666.png.dda94abd916f937748f43f891fbe08f3.png

Second: Insulated tiles do not interact with liquids or solids properly. I tested this bug in the preview branch, as well as in the live branch, and both show the same bug. Gasses seem to slowly transfer thermal energy to/from insulated tiles, but extremely hot and cold liquids or solids have zero effect.

66666666666666666666666666666.thumb.png.956804d59d1afb1d73f7023e0be8a497.png

I've attached the save file I made all these tests in, the source of the above screenshots.

Yucky Brigade.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Construct insulated tiles, observe properties and interaction with solids and liquids.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Changed Status to Fixed

Thanks for the bug report. The informational display should be improved in the next update. Good catch.

For the temperature behaviour that you're seeing, try changing the mass of the hydrogen gas in your test to match the masses of the liquid/solid chambers. From what I saw, the temperature change of the gas is due to it having a mass of around 1kg whereas the liquids/solids have around 1000/1800 kg which makes the temperature much harder to change.

Share this comment

I did a bit more testing, and it appears that insulated liquid pipes follow the same rules (and bugs) as insulated tiles, but insulated gas pipes interact with their gaseous contents as expected.

10 minutes ago, JLK said:

Changed Status to Fixed

Thanks for the bug report. The informational display should be improved in the next update. Good catch.

For the temperature behaviour that you're seeing, try changing the mass of the hydrogen gas in your test to match the masses of the liquid/solid chambers. From what I saw, the temperature change of the gas is due to it having a mass of around 1kg whereas the liquids/solids have around 1000/1800 kg which makes the temperature much harder to change.

Thanks for your fast response, and for the fix of the first problem.

For the second problem, could you re-evaluate your assessment of the test? I re-initialized the test situation, including your advice in the setup, and received the same results, with zero thermal interaction between liquids or solids with insulated tiles, and normal interaction with gasses. I updated the save file and took a screenshot of the results.

66666666666666666666666666666.thumb.png.d76ac1f28f04638d033eff5f90aad326.png

Yucky Brigade.sav

Share this comment

2 hours ago, crypticorb said:

second problem, could you re-evaluate your assessment of the test? I re-initialized the test situation, including your advice in the setup, and received the same results, with zero thermal interaction between liquids or solids with insulated tiles, and normal interaction with gasses. I updated the save file and took a screenshot of the results.

As a rule of thumb, liquids have a multiplier of 25 for interacting with other liquids, and gas also have a multiplier of 25 for interacting with solids. All other multipliers have a value of 1. Let's note them S for now.

Though I don't know why we have the rule , but looks like it works now.

Edited by R9MX4

Share this comment