Insulated pipes freezing

Eep
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

What's the point of having insulated pipes if they're going to freeze and get damaged?

Steps to Reproduce
1. Build an insulated pipe in cold (mine froze at -20F) 2. Pump water through pipe and hold it there (stop flow) 3. Wait for pipe to get damaged (this particular corner pipe got damaged after only about 15 minutes) 4. Curse the game's bad design and frustation since you just spent so much time redoing the pipes to insulated!

User Feedback

Same problem ... the liquid need to move for don't freeze, i solved the problem with just one irrigate plant on the pipeline.

Share this comment

this game has multiple item types each with their own thermal responses. Som transfer heat very quickly som take a very long time to transfer heat but don't loose their temperature as fast. some don't transfer heat at all. insulated tiles prevent amounts of thermal interaction based upon the materials they are made of. for insulated pipes Wolfram Granite and Sand stone are USELESS in this as they are high transfer type material. Abyssalite has the Highest thermal resistance Obsidian, Igneous and Sedimentary fallowing up close behind on thermal resistors. not using the right materials for the right job is not the games fault. The materials say what they do if you  wanted perfect thermal resistance (no changeable temperatures) in your pipes stick to Abyssalite. Don't blame the game design because you didn't read the details of what materials you used

Edited by heckubis

Share this comment

On 5/24/2017 at 5:41 AM, heckubis said:

this game has multiple item types each with their own thermal responses. Som transfer heat very quickly som take a very long time to transfer heat but don't loose their temperature as fast. some don't transfer heat at all. insulated tiles prevent amounts of thermal interaction based upon the materials they are made of. for insulated pipes Wolfram Granite and Sand stone are USELESS in this as they are high transfer type material. Abyssalite has the Highest thermal resistance Obsidian, Igneous and Sedimentary fallowing up close behind on thermal resistors. not using the right materials for the right job is not the games fault. The materials say what they do if you  wanted perfect thermal resistance (no changeable temperatures) in your pipes stick to Abyssalite. Don't blame the game design because you didn't read the details of what materials you used

I TRIED abyssalite and the pipes still freeze. In the end I put a water flow regulator (whatever) at the end and pipe "vent" (spout) to release some water and keep the flow going. Lame...

• Like 1

Share this comment

On 24/05/2017 at 2:41 PM, heckubis said:

My issulated pipes is in Abyssalite, but if the water don't move, it loose calorie. Or the issulated pipes need to be construct in a issulated tiles for solve the problem

Try to construct a inssulated pipe in cold environment, put water in, stop the water, you'll see the problem after few cycle. And don't supose people are stupid please

Share this comment

On 5/26/2017 at 5:07 AM, Eep said:

I TRIED abyssalite and the pipes still freeze. In the end I put a water flow regulator (whatever) at the end and pipe "vent" (spout) to release some water and keep the flow going. Lame...

Now with the latest update, 218235, even WITH flowing water the pipes are freezing. I tried increasing flow rate (was ~75g/s and working fine in build 217955) but had to increase flow rate to ~1kg/s. Lame! I think that was only because I ended up using a liquid tepidizer (heater!). Sheesh!

And why does repairing a pipe section take longer than building it?? Grr...

Edited by Eep

Share this comment