impossible to dig under water

Bagger1234
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

For some reason, underwater excavations are marked as inaccessible. 

1.thumb.png.0fc315d7c40d470f84615c77a1c6369d.png

2.thumb.png.218ea3561ab6364d5fa361e6fc4d3a8c.png

Покрытая Слизью Ферма.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Download save. Use hotkeys Strl + 1 and Strl + 2 to go to problem areas and wait. Watch the pacu. Periodically, when pacu is moved, cells become accessible for digging. Another guess. There is some clean water in these dirty water pools. Perhaps this also leads to this bug.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Also. If you choose a duplicant and order him to move to the site of the excavation, then he CAN go to the place where the pacu is hanging, but no further!

3.thumb.png.aa885d0402a38a8be31a98bf3dc4808e.png

4.thumb.png.ce7703aee2decbb611cafe319aecd16b.png

Do you see? Paku blocks the way up the stairs.

Edited by Bagger1234

Share this comment

Hi @Bagger1234

Pacu don't block duplicants, But, duplicants can only travel a certain distance underwater from their current position.  It looks like the dig orders are too far under water for them to reach safely.

It's just a coincidence that there is a Pacu at the same position as the maximum under water travel distance!

If you select "Show Navigation" on a duplicant, you can more easily see the limit of how far they can go.

20190304-141733-Unity.png

Share this comment

I'm not sure about that. 

When a pacu clears the way up the stairs, then immediately the dublicant can reach the excavation site. Coincidence ? I don't know, it just seems really weird. I can't dig up a wide body of water and my base is flooding. :)
Also. When I found a place where the duplicator could reach (in length, underwater), and then dug there 1 block down. After this, the dublicant could reach the site of the excavation. Thus, the excavation of only 1 single block suddenly allowed the duplicant to increase his path by 7-10 blocks. Perhaps because of changes in water level throughout the reservoir ?

it's all very strange. At home, I'll check it again with "Show Navigation"

10 hours ago, Brook said:

20190304-141733-Unity.png

isn't it weird that underwater the duplicate can go literally ~10 blocks ? Is that normal ?

Share this comment

9 hours ago, SuperCoolAnt said:

isn't it weird that underwater the duplicate can go literally ~10 blocks ? Is that normal ?

Yes there is currently a hard limit on the distance that a dupe will attempt to travel underwater. There are exceptions though, if a dupe is already under water, they will be able to walk as far underwater as they need (so that they can escape from drowning).

We understand this system can result in some unexpected and unintuitive behaviour, and we'll be looking at improving it for future updates.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment