Hydrogen Generator stops working if no gas in pipe

Jelmoh
  • Pending

Dear, dear Klei Dev team (and the rest obviously),

I have a colony which is about to go under, I try desperately to keep them alive, but in hindsight I also love how my colony slowly crumbles apart :D.

This also means I currently have no power, which means my gas pump (and other devices, duh.) does not work. However, my Hydrogen Generator has almost 40KG hydrogen bottled but it still does not work when there is no hydrogen in the pipe. I have also added a screenshot to show my situation.

I hope this is not a double post or something, I could not actually find another post with this exact same issue.

Up intil now (10+ hours in the game) you did it again! Awesome game, I love you guys,

Jelmoh

Not working.png

Steps to Reproduce
Build gas pump, build hydrogen generator, let the generator bottle up some hydrogen, run out of power (which causes the gas pump to stop working, generator should still have hydrogen bottled up).

User Feedback

I have the same problem. After I reloaded my game, my hydrogen generator is full but it does not work as long as there is nothing in the pipes

Share this comment

I did some testing and found that you can force a hydrogen generator to work by filling the pipe with at least oxygen as long as some hydrogen gets pumped in to keep the internal tank full. I will upload a vid showing this working a bit later tonight.

Steps to reproduce "temporary fix" for the hydrogen generator:

1. Build a room with a gas pump at the top and a hydrogen generator in the same room.
2. Run gas pipes directly between the gas pump and the hydrogen generator with no filters, valves or vents.
3. Produce hydrogen/oxygen gas mix from the electrolyzers and watch as the hydrogen generator operates with either oxygen or hydrogen in the intake pipe (as long as it has some stored hydrogen in it's internal tank). Other gasses may also work.

Potential issues:
No idea if the oxygen is destroyed or if the hydrogen generator uses it but it does not appear to be venting the oxygen.

Share this comment

The generator has an element filter that destroys everything not hydrogen entering it.

Share this comment

Here's the vid, youtube may take a bit to get the 1080p processed but the hydrogen generator is shown functioning even when only oxygen is being pumped into the generator:

Share this comment

Or just use 2 gas valve and connect it to the hydrogen gen's input port from 2 different direction. (valve have a 50% output speed so need 2 for full saturation, also if you merge them before the input port their blobs can merge in pipe and still have 50% saturation so thats why need the 2 separate direction)

With this method you dont destroy gas and still have 100% uptime on generator.

Share this comment

28 minutes ago, Blas88 said:

Or just use 2 gas valve and connect it to the hydrogen gen's input port from 2 different direction. (valve have a 50% output speed so need 2 for full saturation, also if you merge them before the input port their blobs can merge in pipe and still have 50% saturation so thats why need the 2 separate direction)

With this method you dont destroy gas and still have 100% uptime on generator.

The problem I'm trying to point out (and help confirm the other reports of this issue) is that the hydrogen generator is running even with a pipe filled with oxygen so this issue can hopefully be fixed (the problem being caused by empty pipe). I don't mind if the generator destroys non-hydrogen gas but the risk of doing that vs just venting the non-hydrogen gasses is that a hydrogen generator could do the same job as an air scrubber but for any gas without needing water or producing contaminated water. That's getting into game balance between equipment though and the point of my vid is to provide proof that the hydrogen gen is bugged where it won't function if the pipe is empty but will function with non-hydrogen gas filling the intake pipe as long as the internal tank has some hydrogen.

Edited by Commander_Hurricane

Share this comment

It's true. Hydrogen generator could function as a CO2 scrubber without loss of fresh water. Really cheaty though.

Share this comment

Well, you can freeze CO2 and as solid object you can store infinite amount on 1 spot anyway. (and its even legit :D )

Edit: Of course i would prefer if you feed wrong input, it would break the building and need repair just like when a dupe breaks a building. (there are filters for a reason :) )

Edited by Blas88

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Blas88 said:

Well, you can freeze CO2 and as solid object you can store infinite amount on 1 spot anyway. (and its even legit :D )

Edit: Of course i would prefer if you feed wrong input, it would break the building and need repair just like when a dupe breaks a building. (there are filters for a reason :) )

Can you share  some screenshots how you do that?

Share this comment