High CPU usage, big overheating problems

DoesStarve
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Pending

This has been an issue for a while, the CPU usage is really giving my computer fan a work out. This game has always had this performance issue, Don’t Starve and Don’t Starve Together run perfectly with my fan not topping more than 1200 RPM, Oxygen Not Included needs some attention in this area as this game is unplayable.

Running the game for more than a few minutes past the menu screen, either starting a new game or continuing an old save, the fans are whirring obscenely loudly, bumping up to 3500+ RPM.

I’ve been launching the game using the Unity Player’s configuration tool, selecting the lowest resolution I can, doing the same in game, and also changing macOS to the lowest resolution (1280 × 720) in System Preferences, but it makes no difference.

Please optimise this Klei, I really love your games and I’d love to sink some real time into ONI as you’ve worked so hard on it!

My system details

• macOS Mojave: 10.14.5 (of posting latest version)
  • iMac: Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2014
  • Processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB

Thank you!

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 14.51.06.png

Steps to Reproduce
Launch Oxygen Not Included from the Steam client, click new game or select an old save, throw ice at computer …

User Feedback

You cant compare game X with game Y, when they are different games.

You wont compare houses with trees too, but they both stand on the ground.

Every game is different.

So, we have to possible problems here. Either the MacOS version of ONI has some bugs, causing your problems.

Or your iMac has a temperature problem. Because i´m not used to Macs, i dont know, what benchmarks are running on this, but you should try to run something to test your hardware for temperature issues. You say its from 2014, this means its 4-5 years old, and in that time, fans and coolers collect heavy amounts of dust, eventually failing to cool proper.

If the benchmarks result is, your Mac has cooling issues, clean it. 

Share this comment

It is true that the game has performance problems but I wouldn't have opened a bug with "big overheating problems" in the title, because, it's not the game that overheats, it's your computer, and the bug report is for the game. See what I mean?

Share this comment

Your CPU is 71 C. It's rated to handle 100 C and performance shouldn't drop (thermal throttle) as long as it's below 90-95. You do not have an overheating problem.

It sounds like you have a computer/fan problem though, which isn't surprising. It's an issue with all small/thin computers and what you have is essentially a really thin computer stuck on the rear of a monitor. There isn't room for a proper airflow generated by low noise fans.

One positive thing to say though is that your CPU is the type of CPU, which is in the absolute top in the benchmark thread. While your gaming experience might be noisy, you likely get way more FPS than most players. That comes at a cost though because it's not the most power efficient CPU.

Last, but not least, there is a performance issue in general and there are multiple threads about the topic on the forum. There is no question that all players and Klei wants the game to be faster, but it's easier said than done.

Share this comment