Graphics for windowed verison keeps resetting

WanderingKid
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

This was happening in the preview, but usually this is fixed before the live drops.  If you play in windowed mode and use a specific size (for example, 1280x720 for standard YouTube support) when you relaunch the game it reverts to a windowed full screen mode at the best graphics it can find.

To repair this issue, you turn on full screen, set your resolution, and apply it.  Then hit OK.  Now, remove the full screen checkbox, apply again, then hit okay.

This setting now lasts until you close the game.. or a black hole eats it.  You then need to do this every time you bring the game online.  It's very aggravating.

Steps to Reproduce
Try to use a resolution you like no in fullscreen mode and make it stick between game launches.

User Feedback

I have had a problem similar to this because I'm forced to use command line options to force the game into a lower-than-listed resolution. This issue is occuring due to the UI thread for the game hanging during loading and such(even the startup loading). This leads Windows to initiate it's "ghost the app and show the 'app not responding' window" routine. For whatever reason, this is interfering with Unity's graphics context, and causes a reset.

If you're on Windows 10, I don't know if this is an option. Otherwise, here's a short tutorial that details the tweak I used to work around this aggravating issue: HungAppTimeout

I currently have mine set to 20000, but that's probably excessive.

Share this comment

The behavior described (windowed resolution persistence on relaunch) became problematic with the launch of QOL mk1, because I play over steam link on a laptop. So for me, when I launch the game, the resolution always goes full screen at the "Alpha warning page", then BOTH steam instances crash.

I believe the issue is the alpha warning page, because the game launches with the Klei logo in the correct windowed resolution, but then seems to spawn a second full screen window below, and just stays full screen.

Thanks

• Like 1

Share this comment

While correcting this bug, it would also be great to leave the player choose a size in the option while the "full screen" checkbox is unchecked. -_-

Share this comment

Hey @WanderingKid and @omencat, could you post your log files? In QOL1 we did change the resolution flow to fix another bug, so there's hopefully enough information in the log to track down why the resolution resets for you like this.

I'll also change the resolution dropdown to be always active in windowed mode.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey @WanderingKid and @omencat, could you post your log files? In QOL1 we did change the resolution flow to fix another bug, so there's hopefully enough information in the log to track down why the resolution resets for you like this.

Thanks for confirming. Attached output log, and screen capture of my (host) desktop where you can see the resolution change.

2018-12-17_13-28-08.mp4

output_log.txt

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Thanks, and of course.

output_log.txt

Share this comment