game slow

degr
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have colony with 102 dupes, and

1. when I select door (to set up dupes access), or try to setup food, or assign dupes to triage bed or do any similar actions, I need to wait around 3 sec while game become responsive again. Especially, when I disable/enable any food from ration, changes take long time to be applied, sometimes this popup become irresponsible, horizontal scroll jump by itself.

2. I'm not sure, but look like game on speed x1 become more productive then on x3, because after dupe finish his task, he idle 3-5 sec no matter which game speed selected (so this is 3-5 in-game sec for x1 speed and 10-15 in-game sec for x3 speed).

I can provide savefile if needed

build AP-398142

Steps to Reproduce

Use save file, try to do anything described in issue description

Омерзительная Халупа.sav

User Feedback

I have problem too with second. I play with 1x speed most of the time for that reason, duplicant just work faster with shorter breaks.

I think problem is, your PC is too slow to make faster reaction in game and thats why duplicants wait until they get they order.

Like when you play FPS game and move camera, but camera will move after 3s, that what happent to duplicants here.

Share this comment

>your PC is too slow to make faster reaction

If everything gone smooth first 100 loops, and then start to work slower and slower, definitely computation power is not enough. My PC is not top, but still not bad - 16gb ram, i7700k cpu, ssd, gtx1070ti

If map 256x384 tiles, it mean there is around 100.000 tiles, and let's say it should make 1.000.0000 computations each second (temperature exchange, gases and water flow, pipes, electricity, etc). I bet each core of my CPU could hold at least 10.000.000 of such computations per second (most probably much more).

Of course I did not saw code, but most probably it could be optimized. Most probably game have something like database, and read-write same data constantly. Think it possible to read-write only for "autosave".

• Like 1

Share this comment

8 minutes ago, degr said:

>your PC is too slow to make faster reaction

If everything gone smooth first 100 loops, and then start to work slower and slower, definitely computation power is not enough. My PC is not top, but still not bad - 16gb ram, i7700k cpu, ssd, gtx1070ti

If map 256x384 tiles, it mean there is around 100.000 tiles, and let's say it should make 1.000.0000 computations each second (temperature exchange, gases and water flow, pipes, electricity, etc). I bet each core of my CPU could hold at least 10.000.000 of such computations per second (most probably much more).

Of course I did not saw code, but most probably it could be optimized. Most probably game have something like database, and read-write same data constantly. Think it possible to read-write only for "autosave".

The game has two seperate code part

- The native part called the SimDLL that performs most of the physic computation, it runs on it's own thread and doesn't use much CPU power, somewhere around 25% of a CPU core.

- The game itself is written in C#/mono handling everything else except for the physic in SimDLL, i believe this part is far from optimized and C#/mono itself wasn't a performance wise language. For example getting a list of 100 dupes when you select a door, shouldn't take more than a seconds, math too hard ? Same for rockets, but even worst ... at 20 rockets you will experience the same "lag" when select a rocket in starmap.

Share this comment