Game Saves Nightmare

Dupydup
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

I have had problem after problem trying to access saved game files.  

I started Spaced Out DLC, currently, I am not able to load any save games.

In addition I setup my steam on my second internal drive, so it is not on the standard Drive C:

I got an error that the game saves were not found on Drive C: when in fact they were there even in the location that it was looking for.  

I also noticed the option to be able to browse to select your save game file from wherever your have stored your save files on your PC, and that too did not select the save file, when I would select a save file, Windows 10 would ask me what application would like like to open the file with, and Oxygen Not Included is not an app option.  

Essentially, I have to play without any kind of saving or going back currently.  I can only play one game, which is by continuing whatever the last save was by selecting the top button on the login screen to continue your game from where you left off, or the only other option I have is to start another new game if things are going south in the current game.  

I hope you all can get this sorted out.  I wonder how many others are having this problem or if I am one of a small number experiencing this.  

Take care.  I love the game.  It is one of the coolest games I have ever played.  I love your company and your creativity.  Thank you for making Oxygen Not Included.  

Best, 

Dupydup

Steps to Reproduce

When I go to load game it gives me this info to copy to clipboard:  Then I have only the option to Quit to Desktop, it would be nice to have an option to go back to the main menu.  

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\Delta Foxtrot\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\save_files/Abe's Beginners  (BACKUP).sav" or "C:\Users\Delta Foxtrot\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\cloud_save_files/76561198064150285\Abe's Beginners \Abe's Beginners  (BACKUP).sav"

LoadScreen.MigrateFile (System.String source, System.String dest, System.Boolean ignoreMissing) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/screens/LoadScreen.cs:426)
LoadScreen.CheckCloudLocalOverlap () (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/screens/LoadScreen.cs:285)
LoadScreen.RefreshColonyList () (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/screens/LoadScreen.cs:327)
LoadScreen.OnActivate () (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/screens/LoadScreen.cs:118)
KScreen.Activate () (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KScreen.cs:191)
MainMenu.LoadGame () (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/ui/MainMenu.cs:453)
KButton.SignalClick (KKeyCode btn) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KButton.cs:89)
KButton.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/ui/KButton.cs:130)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.14f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:50)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.14f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:261)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update() (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.14f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:377)

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Hi @Dupydup,  thanks for posting your log files!

Filesystem and permissions issues can be quite difficult to solve, so if you don't mind I'm going to shoot out a bunch of things to try and check.

1. Is it all saves having this problem, or just Abe's Beginners?
  2. Are you able to play and save if you turn off the DLC?
  3. On the load screen, if you click the cloud or folder button next to a save file, does the game successfully move that file to the correct location? (Check in your save_files and cloud_save_files folders to see.)
  4. Have you tried temporarily disabling any virus scanners or malware protectors?
  5. Could you try loading/saving after a fresh computer restart?

If the game crashes doing any of these things, please be sure to grab the Player.log right afterwards, as that will help us hunt down the problem. Hopefully we can sort this out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi @Ipsquiggle!, 
It seems to be all saves having this problem.  I am only doing Spaced Out DLC right now.  Most of my games Except for "Space Hut" and the current restart game by default, because I could no longer access Space Hut, it is called "Big Floaty Rock Gang" haha. 

So of course I knew all previous games that I had saved in the original ONI without the Spaced Out DLC would not work, and of course they do not.  At this time although, there is no option to access any past saves, when I go to the load game button it just send me to an error screen with the option to report the bug and then quit the game.  I then can restart the game and the only option I have to continue to play is the continue where you left off.  To help manage this, I only save when I like where I am at, and I had to shut off all auto saves.  This is how I am hobbling by right now.  I did try going back and removing the DLC and playing the original ONI without the Spaced Out DLC, and it seemed to give me the same problems.  Now, when I was first playing the game, and I didn't move things to cloud and I was storing my games locally, I was not having these problems at all.  Now something changed at some point, because suddenly when still playing the original ONI before ever even touching Spaced Out DLC, it was giving me some error that it was not finding my local game saves, and they were for sure in the proper folder in the proper location on the proper drive as per it requested, but all of the sudden it was saying it was no longer finding my save files, so that is when I tried to move everything to cloud, a day or two ago, and ever since it has been an up hill struggle.  It sucks to put a bunch of time in and lose everything over and over.  But I understand that there will be bugs and I will do  the best that I can to try to be helpful, that is why I submitted this to you.  If others are experiencing this, I am sure it is frustrating them too.  

I am actually not even able to access the the load screen.  If I click load game it immediately takes me to the black error screen with the option to report the bug, copy the clipboard of into, and then the only option is to quit the game, not even go back to main menu.  So I have to restart., This is how the cycle repeats. I have sent the bug report from that screen many times now.  Probably so many that if you are getting them that they are stacking up.  

I currently have no virus scanners or malware protectors other than windows defender, and I will see if it is possible to disable it as soon as I am done responding to you here in this message.  

The game does not crash, so to speak but it does take me to the error screen when I go to load the game either from the entry main menu or during the game.  The strange thing is, it does let me save the game during the game, but I can only access the most recent save that I have made when I want to play next and that will be from the very top selection on the main menu, continue where you left off with "Big Floaty Rock Gang".  

I have done fresh computer restarts, and no, it is still exactly the same scenario.  

Thank you so much for your kind and quick response, I hope my replies to your questions were more than adequate.  

Best, 

Dupydup

Help! A black hole ate my game.PNG

Help! A black hole ate my game2.PNG

Player.log Player-prev.log Copied from Clipboard Help a black hole ate my game screen.txt

Edited by Dupydup

Share this comment

Oooh interesting. Okay, it actually looks like it might be stuck on a specific file:

Okay! Here's the next round of things to try. :)

1. If you go to Docuiments\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\save_files, there is a file there called Abe's Beginners  (BACKUP).sav -- this file seems to be what's mentioned in the logs. Could you try moving this file elsewhere (such as on to your desktop temporarily) and try launching the game?
  2. If you go to Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\, is there a cloud_save_files folder? Does it contain a numbered folder? And if so, are there any saves/folders inside of that?
  3. As gabberworld says, if you launch steam as administrator (fully close out of steam, then right click on it in the start menu and choose "run as administrator"), does that solve the problem?
  4. If you open Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\kplayerprefs.yaml in notepad or a similar plain-text editor, near the top you'll see a line that says SavesDefaultToCloud: Enabled. Try changing this to SavesDefaultToCloud: Disabled and launch the game again.

Hopefully something here will work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi @Ipsquiggle!, 

First of all, thank you so much for taking time and effort to assist me.  I am extremely grateful.

1. I did exactly as you requested.  Done.  

2.  Yes many.  

3.  I launched Steam as administrator as per requested after fully closing it.

4. I opened kplayerprefs.yaml and strangely, in none of the three sections was I able to locate either 

56 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

SavesDefaultToCloud: Enabled.

or 

56 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

SavesDefaultToCloud: Disabled

I did not try making any changes since I did not see the line listed.  

In conclusion, after doing these things, including running Steam as administrator, I next clicked on my normal shortcut for Oxygen Not Included (not attempting to run the .exe file in the as administrator but instead just launching for the normal shortcut of the game that I placed on my desktop for quick access.  Once the game loaded into the initial main menu screen I clicked on load game, and I was able to see my save game files!  I went ahead and requested that the files be saved locally instead of cloud, and it made that adjustment quickly without any problem.  I am expecting that perhaps may run and function now normally.  I will keep you posted if I encounter any more hurdles from this point forward.   

@Ipsquiggle I want to thank you again for taking the time and careful review of the details to assist me.  You are a real champion person!  May you and your team have the greatest success in all you do! 

Best, 

Dupydup

@Ipsquiggle

Would you please be able to to tell me, in game, how many I be able to see the entire screen/base without the HUD?  I was able to press Esc when the night/day changed, but that seems to have been eliminated.  Is there a simple way to be able to do this?  I like being able to pan/scroll all the way back and see everything that I have uncovered so far on the map all at one glance.  Also, is there a default way to take screenshots while in this mode and in the standard game mode that is built into the game?

Thank you again!

Best, 

Dupydup

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

I'm really glad to hear this was resolved! I think it would be good to try running steam as not an administrator now and see if it remains resolved. Hopefully! In any case, glad you can play again!!

To your postscript, you can use "alt+s" to enter screenshot mode, which will hide the hud and allow free camera. Take care!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment