Game crashes to desktop ramdonly

Zakthefallen
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

After the most recent update (408920), my game has started crashing randomly during gameplay. It's crashed while selecting dupes at game start, it's crashed while running both new and old colonies. I disabled every mod, but the crashes remain. Sometimes I can play for a few minutes just fine, but then it will crash soon after.

I checked the output log, and it just mentions "AdjustLoad() failed" a few dozen times, then it makes a SimDLL dump and crashes to desktop. Seems like it encounters the AdjustLoad() failure during gameplay a lot.

I should specify that I'm running no mods on this colony, and I can't even reach the end of Day 1. The output logs mentioned mods, but none are enabled. Before this update, I did NOT encounter crashes while running the game. Even with a few mods enabled.

I've included my output log, SimDLL dump file, and save game.

Edit: I have since tried completely uninstalling the game, deleting all its folder, then re-installing. For first 3-4 days in-game on a new colony, everything was fine. At that point, I was hit with an in-game crash. This time however, the in-game error screen showed-up, and let me submit an error report automatically. That's an improvement, at least.

SimDLL_CRASH_release_410209_20200528-13.00.42.dmp Spacerock.sav

Steps to Reproduce

1) Start a new colony on Terra (or any world)

2) Start the basics of a colony (I barely get to end of Day 1)

3) Watch the game close without an error screen.

SimDLL_CRASH_release_410209_20200528-13.00.42.dmp Spacerock.sav

User Feedback

Do you save to a cloud storage? If so, dont.

Do you run any antivirus? If so make an exception for the game and its save-folder.

Both are known to cause heavy problems with ONI.

Share this comment

No, I don't save to the cloud for ONI. I also don't run any anti-virus programs while playing Steam games, it's notorious for causing problems.

It was working perfectly fine until the latest update. I must have ran into problems with old game files or mod data (even though all mods are disabled), because a clean install of ONI fixed it so the crashes are at least being caught by the in-game error screen. They're also a lot less frequent, but I still don't know what's causing the crashes.

Share this comment

Hi @Zakthefallen, this appears to be crashing in the graphics driver. The most common causes of this are RivaTuner or other similar "graphics tuning" applications, please try uninstalling those first if you have any. Additionally, make sure your driver is up-to-date. If the problem still happens, let me know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment