Fridge and Smart Storage Compactor largely unusable

Saturnus
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

Currently the updated Fridge and Smart Storage Compactor only gives a TRUE signal out when filled. However, it is practically impossible to reliably fill them. They almost always end up a few grams or kgs short. For example most storage compactors are filled to 19999kg and cannot be filled further which means the function of the smart storage is useless.

There should be a setting like on sensors to indicate the threshold above which they should return a TRUE signal.

Steps to Reproduce
Start up. Build smart storage and power it up. Fill it with dug out material. Most often that will be 19999kg so no TRUE signal will ever happen.
  • Like 3

User Feedback

I should note that adjusting the capacity slider has no effect. It will still not send a TRUE signal out regardless is stored amount is equal to or above the set position if it has not hit the maximum capacity. 

Share this comment

Could you please upload a save file with the storage lockers/fridges not working correctly? As for the capacity slider not working, we will fix that.

Share this comment

storage compactor fail.sav

Note there are materials on the ground that should be fit in the compactor but storage compactor have always been nearly impossible to fill 100% 

Edit: Not that it matters. A full storage compactor doesn't change logic output status anyway

Edited by Saturnus

Share this comment

Now for some reason on a reload it started working as it should out of the blue. Even with setting another max capacity.

Share this comment

I still see this issue as of OC-256131. Smart storage is usually not filled to max capacity by dupes or sweepers, and even when the UI shows that it's full, it will occasionally not output a true signal. In my experience so far I can always get it to output true by setting the max capacity lower than the currently-stored amount of material, but obviously that's a lousy workaround.

Here are two shots of a smart compactor showing 10t of granite stored. Set to 10t max, the output is false; set to 9999kg, output is true. The regular compactor to the top right contains another 9t of granite and is set to lower priority, so if the smart compactor were a nanogram short or whatever, the sweeper should top it up - but it doesn't. (This is the entire point of this arrangement in fact; it's part of a system to automatically maintain a set quantity of material at a remote supply depot.)

I would speculate that the compactor showing a full 10t stored is the result of rounding and that the actual amount is some tiny fraction short, but that's something for a dev to verify.

If you want to check this specific building, it's at the bottom of the base in the attached save.

I hope we can get this bug fixed soon. It seriously limits the possibilities of what you can make with the conveyor systems. The best outcome in my opinion would be to rework the smart compactor/fridge to use separate max and min capacity sliders like smart batteries. Players will probably most often want to use these buildings to implement a hysteresis loop of some kind, so make it easy on us. (Honestly I think you should do that for every sensor and building where it could possibly make sense!)

smart-storage-1.jpg

smart-storage-2.jpg

Fool's Hope.sav

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this comment