"Free range critters" exploit

MatthewCline
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Known Issue

From this Reddit post by lurkinglurkerwholurk:

A stable is a nice thing to have... but if you really want critters to reproduce waaay beyond the limits of your stable (eight for most types), you gotta let them roam free. BUT, and here's the important bit, you have to make it so the hatches have a way back into the stable, and will eventually wander back into the rancher's warm grooming hands.

That way you get the best of both worlds: when a hatch is inside a stable, it gets all the bonuses of grooming by that poor, overworked rancher.

But let the hatch (or other critter) wander outside its stable after being groomed, it simply stops feeling overcrowded. It's no longer restricted by a stable's hard limits anymore, which allows "fertility" numbers to tick up...

... and hey look, it's groomed and tamed, so those numbers will tick up a lot faster than a wild hatch (or other critters).

Steps to Reproduce
Follow the directions from the linked Reddit post.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Here's the save file of the screenshot used in the above reddit post. It's been quite a few cycles afterwards (and after a base-wide crisis), but the original stable is still stable and working "as intended (?)" in the base.

IIRC, there's even more critters now on the "free range level"; they thrived even while the oxygen ran out and the original +9 rancher died of asphyxiation....

The Future Panopticon.sav

(Also,  MatthewCline tagged this wrongly: this is the steam version of the game...)

Edited by lurkinglurker

Share this comment

My appologies, it appears I've to update my save file mere minutes after I've posted it here.

I've started the game above... and not 5 seconds in, I noticed the "overcrowded" debuff.

Apparently, the size of a zone that the critters are in matters, even if it is not actually a room (or too large to be one). Sorry for not noticing that earlier.

I've adjusted the free range area slightly, and viola, the critters are back to being merely "glum" until they wander back into the stable...

The Future Panopticon.sav

Edited by lurkinglurker

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

Changed Redmine to https://redmine.klei.com/issues/3473

Thanks for all the details! We'll see if we can make this more consistent.

Share this comment