Fish Feeder consumes 20 kg algae per 10 kg actually ingested by fish

tofof
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

To replicate:

1. Put 200kg algae into the feeder.
  2. It immediately dispenses a single 10 kg serving. The feeder will show Storing: 190 Kg / x in the Status section of the Status tab. In the contents section of the same tab, it will show two item stacks: Algae: 190 Kg and Algae: 10 Kg.  190+10=200, good.
  3. A pacu will come and eat from the feeder now. The intended behavior appears to be that the fish removes 10 kg of food from the 10 kg item stack. However, my guess is that he actually takes 10 kg from both of the item stacks. 
  4. The instant the fish eats, the feeder will dispense another 10 kg pellet. However, the feeder will now be Storing: 170 Kg / x and will have contents Algae: 170 Kg and Algae: 10 Kg. 170+10=180, bad. In other words, 20 kg of algae has been removed.
  5. The fish gains 7 calories and will eventually poop 5 kg polluted dirt, the same as if it had consumed 10 kg of dropped algae in the world. In other words, it's not simply a display bug; 10 kg of algae is now completely unaccounted for.

The feeder works as expected when only 10kg (or less) is loaded in total.

1. Put 10kg into the feeder.
  2. It dispenses 10kg and is now empty.
  3. Pacu eats 10kg algae, for 7 calories and later 5kg polluted dirt.
  4. To verify, repeat this process 10 times in succession, for a total of 10 meals. He will gain approximately 70 calories and shortly thereafter emit 50 kg polluted dirt.

Works incorrectly once there's more than 10kg in the feeder:

1. Put 20kg into the feeder.
  2. It dispenses 10kg and is now empty.
  3. Pacu eats 10kg algae, for 7 calories and later 5kg polluted dirt.
  4. To verify, fill the feeder initially with 200kg. Observe the fish will only receive 10 meals, again gaining 70 calories and emitting 50 kg polluted dirt.

Note that if you set the feeder to 10 kg without a fish immediately present, you will get the 2nd set of behavior. This is becasue the feeder immediately dispenses 10 kg into the secondary item stack slot, freeing up its primary inventory to be reloaded with a second 10 kg. In other words, a feeder set to hold x kg will actually hold a total of x + min(x,10) kg when 'at rest'.  (Yes, you can break my formula by e.g. setting it to hold 5kg, getting a 5kg pellet loaded into the 'second slot', and then increasing the maximum to some other number, like 200, getting the feeder filled with a total of 205 instead of 210). All of this is effectively just a second symptom of the same bug - the presence of 2 inventories instead of a single one causes all of these behaviors.

Steps to Reproduce

1) See above, where better formatting makes my steps clearer. Alternatively, 1) Put 200 kg into feeder and prevent further refills 2) It immediately splits that into two stacks, one of 190, one of 10. 190+10 = 200, all good so far. 3) Fish eats once, gaining 7 calories and will eventually produce only 5 kg polluted dirt, the same as eating 10 kg of dropped algae in the world. 4) Now the feeder has 170 and 10 in the two stacks. 170+10 = 180, bad. 10 kg of algae is inside the fish, the other 10 kg has simply vanished.

• Like 4

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

это очень старый баг.
он существует с того момента, когда кормушка для рыб была добавлена в игру.
я просто оставлю тут эту гифку.

This is a very old bug.
it exists from the moment the fish feeder was added to the game.
I'll just leave this gif here. Sorry, in Russian.

latest?cb=20190326062829&path-prefix=ru

Share this comment

Now I understand why my algae are eaten that fast. <.<

What I still don't understand is the description of the fish feeder, stating that it provides the meal "once per day/cycle".

Edited by ThirdEye

Share this comment