Faster Growing Mutated Gas Grass & Gassy Moo calories bugged- Exuberant and Leafy

Apprisco
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

image.thumb.png.8dd11c317dacb3450cab2fe1348dc023.png

In a sandbox testing world, I grew some gas grass till they were harvest ready.

Then, I spawned in some gassy moos, and let them eat.

As you can see, the gassy moos didn't just eat 50% like they should, they ate the whole plant down to 0%.

This is consistent with the behavior I see later, where 12 gas grass is no longer enough to keep these moos fed (six of them).

(Note that these are now unobtainable exuberant gas grass).

The gassy moos seem to not eat 50%/cycle of gas grass as advertised, and more like 100% or even higher.

Please fix this.

Steps to Reproduce

Get a gassy moo

Plant some wild gas grass

Watch it eat a crap ton.

User Feedback

I created this test ranch with 6 tamed Gassy Moos and 12 domesticated Gas Grass. It's been running 30 cycles without a Gassy Moos going hungry. It appears to be working correctly. Are you seeing your Gassy Moos starve to death if you let your game run for 20 cycles? Note that there can be some variance from cycle to cycle.

image.png

Gas Grass grows 25% per cycle and Gassy Moos consume 50% of plant growth per cycle on average meaning you need minimum two plants per Gassy Moo in perfect conditions to just maintain their calories. In a ranch with 6 Gassy Moos and 12 Gas Grass you can expect them to consume all plant growth over time to sustain themselves.

Plants are not consumable until they have grown to at least 25% so there might be periods where they have to wait a bit before eating. Critters also hold multiple cycles worth of calories in their stomach (Gassy Moos have 6) and eat until they are at least 90% full, which means if you introduced a starving Gassy Moo (0 calories) they would go on a rampage eating all your plants until they are 90% full. This will disrupt the food supply to other Gassy Moos. Since 12 plants is just enough to cancel out the calories lost per cycle this kind of disruption could be felt for a very long time. This might be what you're seeing. Try planting more Gas Grass to stabilize your ranch quicker.

I tested the plant eating code and also check the Gassy Moo tuning values. Neither have changed in this update. It's the same code used for Pips and Dreckos.

1 hour ago, Apprisco said:

It seems the gassy moo generates 20-40kcal from eating 25% of gas grass growth, NOT 200kcal.

Could you please record a video of it happening? I spawned a Gassy Moo in sandbox in a room with a fully grown Gas Grass. It started with 1,080 kcal out of of a maximum 1,200 kcal, then it ate 30% of the Gas Grass, which turned into 120 kcal. (120kcal is 1.2 cycles of growth. (4 growth cycles - 1.2 cycles of growth eaten) / 4 growth cycles = 70% growth remaining)

Could you attach your save file? Have you tried disabling mods to see if it could be mod related?

Share this comment

I have already tested that it is not mod related. Let me take a video and post it tomorrow when I have time.

EDIT: Sandbox copy, cleared a few of the gassy moos to record behavior of a single one. Please note its' calories.

If it doesn't occur in your save, the only thing that could be different is that it's a wild gas grass plant, or that it's an exuberant plant (no longer obtainable, but obtainable before a few updates). I'm not sure which exactly would cause behavior like this... maybe it is indeed that it's a exuberant plant considering it grows 4x faster, and the moos are getting 25kcal not 100?

Edit 2: Uh oh, this is a spaced out colony.

Edited by Apprisco

Share this comment

It seems the issue is with mutated plants.

Exuberant is a wack case, sure, but I think I've replicated the issue with Leafy mutation as well.

For leafy plants, gassy moos ate 25% growth and only gained 50 kcal, while exuberant plants they only gained 25kcal.

This means mutated plants simply don't work for gassy moo consumption.

Share this comment

11 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Could you attach your save file? Have you tried disabling mods to see if it could be mod related?

Moo gets 100kcal from eating 50% growth of a leafy wild planted gas grass (using wild planter box mod. The mod isn't needed to open the save. Other mods already activated on the save are irrelevant to plant growth)

mutant plants for moo_2.sav

wishlist for future updates: sandbox tools to plant wild plants, tame critters instantly and mutate seeds :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Thank you for chiming in! That lines up perfetly, 50% should be 200kcal for leafy and exuberant but we are seeing 100kcaland 50kcal, which lines up for their growth times.

Couldn't upload my save as it was nearing 50mb..

@EricKlei seems like this is clearly a issue with mutated plants. I have not yet replicated with dreckos, but it seems likely the issue is there as well then.

Edited by Apprisco

Share this comment

Bumping, i don't know how important this is but it seems like a pretty important glitch for an update all about gassy moos.

This may also affect pips eating thimble reeds, dreckos eating any of their mutated plants, etc. Seems like a pretty crazy bug.

Edited by Apprisco

Share this comment

@JarrettM I've made an updated post, this isn't just limited to gassy moos and gas grass, it applies to all critters and all mutated exuberant/leafy plants!

Share this comment