Cooking stations occasionally being ignored

Townkill
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

I have four cooking stations set to priority 8/9 cooking only pepper bread. Occasionally dupes will just stop delivering peppernuts to them until i cancel and requeue the item. I'll have plenty of both items available, and sometimes even have dupes idle, so i know theyre not busy with other tasks. They are just simply ignoring it.

Chaotic Comet.sav

Edit: on closer examination i realized that peppernuts are rotting in the cooking station between sleet harvests, and dupes don't realize that they need to deliver more

Steps to Reproduce
Let dupes deliver one of the ingredients and let it rot in cooking station, dupes dont realize they need to deliver more and the station just gets stuck on Work pending

User Feedback

4 hours ago, marcjhune22 said:

check if those idle dupes has deliver checked on their jobs

its nothing stupid like that. The station will literally sit unused, with 5 - 15 sleet wheat but no peppernuts  until the item is canceled and requeued while dupes do lower priority tasks. i have a 1m kcal surplus so i essentially ignore cooking. Most of the time the only reason i notice is because the storage ends up rotting, or i notice im down a couple hundred k calories, or i happen to scroll by and see no cooking stations manned even though i have 7 cooks. the moment i requeue the item dupes instantly fill it up and start making bread

Edited by Townkill

Share this comment

I also have been having this happen. 

Let's say I have the cooker cooking mush bars only and it's set on 9 and food box 9... and dupes would just keep delivering water and only water.  I would change the priority to both, un-assign and reassign 1 cook, 2 cooks with only cooking and with other jobs... multiple cookers... It has happened in different save files and persists through reboots and reloads, deconstructs and rebuilds.  It has power and I have lots of dirt and water available.  It is kinda like it isn't really accepting the water being delivered.  I also created clean normal temp water source right next to the cooker with a box of dirt.... still no mush bars.... :(    I end up just creating a new map as I have yet to figure out what causes it or how to fix it.  Seems random, but something must be happening....

Edit: Re-queuing sometimes allows them to start cooking again.... sometimes...

Edited by KrogerKing

Share this comment

36 minutes ago, Townkill said:

its nothing stupid like that. The station will literally sit unused, with 5 - 15 sleet wheat but no peppernuts  until the item is canceled and requeued while dupes do lower priority tasks. i have a 1m kcal surplus so i essentially ignore cooking. Most of the time the only reason i notice is because the storage ends up rotting, or i notice im down a couple hundred k calories, or i happen to scroll by and see no cooking stations manned even though i have 7 cooks. the moment i requeue the item dupes instantly fill it up and start making bread

After running your save for few cycles, I noticed that you run out of cooking materials for pepper bread. Although there should be enough for 1 or 2. Those cooking materials are distributed on your cooking stations.

Share this comment

Oh my bad. that save was taken right after last time bug occurred didnt check my sleet wheat quantities. All the cooking stations had Sleet wheat in them and i have a surplus of peppernuts which is the item thats not being delivered.  Yeah i do run out of sleet from time to time,  But this bug happens when i have ingredients. But i guess the save isn't very helpful

Edit: Watched it for 20 cycles and figured out whats happening.  They deliver peppernuts when i run out of sleetwheat and by the next harvest the peppernuts sometimes rot in the cooking station and they don't realize they need to deliver more

Edited by Townkill

Share this comment

25 minutes ago, Townkill said:

They deliver peppernuts when i run out of sleetwheat and by the next harvest the peppernuts sometimes rot in the cooking station and they don't realize they need to deliver more

Yeah that happens a lot to me. Maybe they can fix then delivering script int the cooking station that the dupes will not deliver to the cooking stations when there are in sufficient cooking materials

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

Yeah that happens a lot to me. Maybe they can fix then delivering script int the cooking station that the dupes will not deliver to the cooking stations when there are in sufficient cooking materials

They could also potentially fix it just by updating the 'waiting for materials' when an item rots in storage. Really i think they need to do both, because even if they only deliver when you have both materials,  they could potentially deliver something that's  stale(1%) and it rots before they get a chance to start cooking

Share this comment

I was about to post this but searched first and sure enough others have the same issue.

One difference for me though is I only have one food station ( I have two but one hasn't had power for 100+cycles) so the ingredients shouldn't be split between two food stations.  I've had it happening more lately.  I have to completely delete and re-queue or make something else and go back to pepper bread, which amounts to the same thing.  

I think the issue has got worse as game cycles on.  Colony is in high 500's now.

Edit:  Missed part for steps to reproduce.  It's very possible something rotten caused my issues.  I've had rotten things be dropped from the cooking station.

Edited by SBHink
re-read thread

Share this comment