Can't start new game

Tim0n
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

After buying the games years ago I wanted to play it again.

When I start the game up and select new Game everything works ok. After the loading screen finishes with "Adventures await" the game shows a grey square in the right upper corner and I am back in the menu. 

Tried to delete the userpreferences file in documents but the same crash still occurs. Game is fully upgarded and I checked the file integrity with steam. 

Can't add an output file as it seems to not exist in the folder.

Steps to Reproduce
Start game, klick new game, no changes just start world generation, wait for the loading screen to end, crash

User Feedback

My first method to solve this is to completely delete and re-download ONI through the steam interface, to ensure that it is not a bad download or corrupted file. Steams checksum system for verifying file integrity is not 100% in my experience.

The latest version for ONI is LU-372041, which is visible from the menu screen in the bottom center.

If that doesn't work, ensure that your computer meets the minimum specs for ONI, as well as checking for any graphics card or Windows updates.

Share this comment

Same issue, pretty annoying.

Boot game > get to main menu > start new game > loading starts > loading completes > crash to main menu.

I have tried deleting every ONI related file on my PC.

Share this comment

This happened to me too. I looked at the output_log.txt and found that the problem was the ONI could not write the save file in my documents. This is because my documents live in dropbox. So clearly drobox and ONI were arguing over writing permisions.
Turning off dropbox fixed this for me.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Share this comment

4 hours ago, dncn.mcdougall said:

This happened to me too. I looked at the output_log.txt and found that the problem was the ONI could not write the save file in my documents. This is because my documents live in dropbox. So clearly drobox and ONI were arguing over writing permisions.

From what I can see, it's simply because you didn't "share" it with the game, so the game can't access the files.

[22:35:05.844] [1] [WARNING] Failed to read C:\Users\dm669\Dropbox\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\WorldGenSimSave.dat
System.IO.IOException: Sharing violation on path C:\Users\dm669\Dropbox\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\WorldGenSimSave.dat

Spoiler

Also...

NAME:Butlerian Jihad

Nice steam name. :wilson_ecstatic:

On 11/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, TimethyD said:

I have the exact same problem, I can't start a new game, but my old saves I can start and play

On 12/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, Grimdarknight said:

Same issue, pretty annoying.

Boot game > get to main menu > start new game > loading starts > loading completes > crash to main menu.

I have tried deleting every ONI related file on my PC.

Mind posting your logs here? It makes things significantly easier to troubleshoot than shooting blindly in the dark. :wilson_goodjob:

Edited by watermelen671

Share this comment

Thanks dncn.mcdougall

On 3/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, dncn.mcdougall said:

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Bam, This fixed my problem. Thanks!

Share this comment