Can't see dupes or items in Mac version

KidIcarus
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Known Issue

Hey there,

Just decided to try the Mac version and my game is loading with all of the duplicates and items as invisible.

Running this on a 

Mac Pro 2010

OS 10.12.6 

NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB

24GB RAM

Screenshot attached

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 1.46.43 PM.png

Steps to Reproduce
I started a new game a couple of times and it happened both times.

User Feedback

I'm having the same problem. It makes the game completely unplayable, so it'd be nice to have it fixed. I'd rather not boot into my Windows partition just to play the game.

Custom built Mac (tells the system it's a Late 2013 iMac)

Mac OS 10.12.6

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4095 MB

8 GB RAM

Share this comment

I grabbed this to play on an older Macbook Pro I had with me over the holidays and ran into this exact problem. I haven't refunded, as I'll play it on my PC now I'm home. so I debugged it some.

If I "Resumed" the game loaded fine for me every time.

If I chose by save what to play it had either invisible dupes or invisible dupes and objects.

Share this comment

Also seeing this on Mac Pro 2010 (5,1) with NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB on Sierra 10.12.6. 32 GB of RAM. Latest NVIDIA web driver is installed (378.05.05.25f03). The macOS system graphics driver does not work with this card, so I cannot use it.

"Resuming" the game makes no difference. New game or resumed, no items or dupes are visible.

Edited by tubedogg

Share this comment

Reporting this problem also. Running OSX 10.12.6 Sierra with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 running on a Mac Pro. I am using the Nvidia drivers version 378.05.05.25f03.

The game was behaving just fine on El Capitan last week, but ever since I updated, the game objects and assets will not render.

Can you please priorise this and add it to the know issues? There are also people complaining about this on the Steam Forum.

Please fix, we want to test the game further!

Share this comment

This issue appears to be related to an interaction between our game and the current web drivers from Nvidia for OS versions 10.11.6 and up, which are currently in beta for some configurations, such as Nvidia cards on iMacs and Mac Pros. 

For Nvidia cards that have a driver that shipped with the os, you may have better results using that driver than the web drivers.

While we're still investigating this issue internally, if the web drivers are the only ones available for your card, you may have to wait for a new version of the drivers to become available.

For anybody running on a MacBook Pro (@Hechicera), could you post your hardware specs here, and whether you're using nvidia web drivers, or the graphics drivers that came with the os?

Share this comment

It is my spouse's really old MacBook from work. The only drivers updated were whatever the OS auto updated.  I brought up Steam on it and asked it my system information, here were the highlights:

MacBook Pro 9,1

CPU i7-3615Q CPU@2.3 Ghz

MacOS 64bit 10.13.1

Graphics Card (built-in) which reports as the display

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver 1.2 Open GL 2.1

System RAM 8192 Mb

It does report an NVIDIA on pcie, but that does not report as the display in the system settings, it does show in the hardware section of System Report. So I'm not sure what that means, though it does say 2 logical displays. And as per above, Steam thinks it is running on the Intel built-in.

Specs on that GeForce GT 650M, PCIe, 512 MB VRAM, gMux 1.9.23 from the Mac's System Report. But I am not sure it is relevant.

The Intel is listed as 4000 1563 MB reported in About this Mac.

It was laggy past turn 50 or so (which I expected), but it ran. The only issue was the one thing I mentioned. I ran the game at 1024x768.

I also hit the send metrics in the game on the Mac, if that helps.

Share this comment

I am using the NVIDIA web drivers, yes. Specifically 378.05.05.25f03. Due to my unusual hardware setup that's my only option, and I figured it might've been related to that.

Share this comment

I am having almost the same issue on a similar machine. Mac Pro 2010, Macvidcards Nvidia GTX980, 32GB RAM, Nvidia web driver, OSX 10.12.6.

5a46f19031e5b_ScreenShot2017-12-30at02_37_46.thumb.png.600cae0e6b630faf5f8e8eab58535516.png

Seems it is a known problem. I will ask for a refund in Steam and see if it works again on release.

Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress until then...

And a lot of gamers on a Mac will be on similar systems, as these run circles around everything Apple sells for most games. Including the newest iMac Pro, iMacs and Macbook "Pro".

Thanks for acknowledging the issue.

Share this comment

Since my last post I've upgraded Mac OS to High Sierra, which allowed me to update my drivers further to 387.10.10.10.25.156, and that seems to have fixed my problems entirely. I've never seen anything like the post above this, note. I only had the invisible sprite issue.

Share this comment