Cannot load my save game anymore, crash

manu_x32
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Pending

This save was working fine for weeks, but since yesterday, I started seeing red errors flickering on the screen. Tried to quit and reload, but save file wouldn't load anymore, so I had to load a previous save, which worked.  I found out that I had put airflow doors between 2 naphtha vertical "doors" in a vacuum, and that is what was outputting the red errors, because of the zero temperature of the vacuum. By adding some gas in there, it stopped the errors, so I kept playing and saving.

But then today, I can't load my save at all anymore, I get pages of red errors and it crashes on load. I tried all the auto-saves back to the oldest one, and none of them load. So I guess I lost my work completely. Really wish I had saved a template of the whole base.

This scene is a bit special, it was all created in debug mode in the oil version, but in a map that was previously created in the outbreak version ( a map where I had cleared a lot of space for debug experiments, which is awfully hard to do in this game without crashing).

I was also using the Material Color mod, until it started to give me errors. Than I uninstalled the mod, to make sure that was not the cause. Maybe the damage was already done though, not sure...  and I don't know if I was playing with fire with that whole special context... I guess a bit yes, but never had issues in the past with very similar contexts.

I have also been having lots of weird issues in this scene since the beginning. Like mess tables not being assigned anymore after load, but when you select them, they say they are assigned to a dupe, but also state unassigned in red in the right properties window.  And dupes don't automatically choose a new mess table, they just eat on the floor. Have to reassign them every time I load.  Was also having atmo suits completely disappearing for a while. (not, dropped in the field, just vanishing). This one seems to have stopped recently.

dupes base 3 - 8 dupes.sav

output_log.txt

crash.thumb.jpg.097c149caaa7e6a71d5095fa2f818ddd.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Load the attached save file --> crash.

User Feedback

You have two doors with a reference to Leira who is apparently null during deserialization.
Main bug is that this is not being checked for null.

Fun fact about this save: The doors are deserialized before the minions. Leira doesn't exist yet and it's trying to find Leira.

Here's the save with Minion moved before Door so that it is loadable: 59f79da7dee92_dupesbase3-8dupes.sav

Do believe you have revealed a major flaw in how references are saved by the way.
All the assignables are doing the same thing, they just check for null before doing anything with them.

Edit: Also kinda curious why the entire entity mapping is ran through twice to serialize everything
with backing sim cells first and everything else the second run through. Would be easier to just sort it.
Errr actually 3 times. Runs through once to count active lists.

Edited by Risu

Share this comment

13 hours ago, Risu said:

You have two doors with a reference to Leira who is apparently null during deserialization.
Main bug is that this is not being checked for null.

Fun fact about this save: The doors are deserialized before the minions. Leira doesn't exist yet and it's trying to find Leira.

Here's the save with Minion moved before Door so that it is loadable: 59f79da7dee92_dupesbase3-8dupes.sav

Do believe you have revealed a major flaw in how references are saved by the way.
All the assignables are doing the same thing, they just check for null before doing anything with them.

Edit: Also kinda curious why the entire entity mapping is ran through twice to serialize everything
with backing sim cells first and everything else the second run through. Would be easier to just sort it.
Errr actually 3 times. Runs through once to count active lists.

Risu, thanks so much, you are truly an awesome magician, Klei should hire you!  ;)

Would be great to know how you did that. ;)

I tried saving it again from your fixed file, and it does load, but I get red errors on the game screen again. Too fast to read.  I guess those are written in the ouput_log.txt file but not sure where in there, the log times don't show anything that relates the time it is right now.

I noticed the below lines in the log. They repeat a couple of times. I deleted the corrupted file and verified integrity of game files in steam, and I don't seem to get the red errors anymore...

I did verify integrity of game files yesterday, but it didn't fix anything. I guess that process does not detect corrupted files.  The files was exactly the same size when it was corrupted, I guess that's why it didn't fix it, the process must just be checking that files are there and are the expected size.

The file 'E:/STEAM/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/sharedassets2.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds!]

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Serialize/SerializationCaching/CachedReader.cpp Line: 223)

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Share this comment

32 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

I did verify integrity of game files yesterday, but it didn't fix anything. I guess that process does not detect corrupted files.  The files was exactly the same size when it was corrupted, I guess that's why it didn't fix it, the process must just be checking that files are there and are the expected size.

Checking for corrupted files is a tricky process, the best way to do it would be to have 2 copies of the file and check it bit by bit. But then how would you check that the second copy is not corrupted and if you have a copy that you know is good then why bother checking at all and not just copy replace it every time.

How almost everyone does it is turn the file into a number or a bunch of numbers and then compare the numbers from both files. But the downside is that it is hard to detect small corruptions. 

If you are getting corrupted files then that is a sign you should check your HDD/SSD cause it might be failing.

Edited by AlexRou

Share this comment

1 minute ago, AlexRou said:

Checking for corrupted files is a tricky process, the best way to do it would be to have 2 copies of the file and check it bit by bit. But then how would you check that the second copy is not corrupted and if you have a copy that you know is good then why bother checking at all and not just copy replace it every time.

How almost everyone does it is turn the file into a number or a bunch of numbers and then check those numbers. But the downside is that it is hard to detect small corruptions. 

If you are getting corrupted files then that is a sign you should check your HDD/SDD cause it might be failing.

Yeah makes sense.  It's the first time I get a corrupted file in ONI. I suspect it could be caused by the Material Color mod, not sure...

Share this comment

Just now, manu_x32 said:

Yeah makes sense.  It's the first time I get a corrupted file in ONI. I suspect it could be caused by the Material Color mod, not sure...

Better be safe than sorry, you wouldn't want to lose data you care about that doesn't have a backup.

This should find/fix (hopefully) most common problems with the HDD/SSD https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk

You shouldn't need more than that unless you have more reasons to suspect the drive is indeed failing but it doesn't detect it.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, AlexRou said:

Better be safe than sorry, you wouldn't want to lose data you care about that doesn't have a backup.

This should find/fix (hopefully) most common problems with the HDD/SSD https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk

You shouldn't need more than that unless you have more reasons to suspect the drive is indeed failing but it doesn't detect it.

awesome, thanks a ton for this, will try it later.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Ran it, both of my disks are fine, so I'm really starting to suspect the Material Color MOD.  It was acting strangely in the past couple of weeks, randomly not coloring objects properly, and I was having all sorts of bugs I never had before in the game.  I guess its due for an update...

Share this comment

18 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

Ran it, both of my disks are fine, so I'm really starting to suspect the Material Color MOD.  It was acting strangely in the past couple of weeks, randomly not coloring objects properly, and I was having all sorts of bugs I never had before in the game.  I guess its due for an update...

Glad the disks are fine, well report those issues in its' thread then not much can be done in the official bug tracker.

Share this comment

Just now, AlexRou said:

Glad the disks are fine, well report those issues in its' thread then not much can be done in the official bug tracker.

I just did, was just putting it here for closure.  ;)

• Like 1

Share this comment