Brine temp change through desal

scaldinghotcarl
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Brine fed into a desalinator will come out at 40°C regardless of the temperature of the brine going in.Screenshot_50.thumb.png.61d704bcd8ce3afdaa51df135eac8049.png

If you send in water, or salt water, it will come out as the same temperature.

Steps to Reproduce
Pump brine into desalinator. Free heat.

User Feedback

Working as it should. Your input is lower than 40°. So it will come out at least with that. And hotter if the input was hotter. Lots of machines work that way these days.

Nothing to do with "free heat"

Edited by Steve8

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Steve8 said:

Working as it should. Your input is lower than 40°. So it will come out at least with that. And hotter if the input was hotter. Lots of machines work that way these days.

Nothing to do with "free heat"

Then why doesn't salt water change temp in the same manner? I would bet that this is one of those (many) things that made it through testing that isn't intended.

And yeah...this is free heat.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, scaldinghotcarl said:

And yeah...this is free heat.

You say that like it's an exploit. Usually you don't want heat and if you want it this little bit isn't doing anything. Buildings used to output liquids or gasses at a fixed temperature and people abused that to delete heat. Now it they output at a minimum temperature.

Water not changing makes some sense as it isn't processed (not sure if the water sieve makes regular water hotter). Salt water should get hotter too though. Still, according to your thread title this isn't about salt water not get warmer (which would be wrong), but brine getting warmer (which is fine)

Edited by Steve8

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Steve8 said:

You say that like it's an exploit. Usually you don't want heat and if you want it this little bit isn't doing anything. Buildings used to output liquids or gasses at a fixed temperature and people abused that to delete heat. Now it they output at a minimum temperature.

Water not changing makes some sense as it isn't processed (not sure if the water sieve makes regular water hotter). Salt water should get hotter too though. Still, according to your thread title this isn't about salt water not get warmer (which would be wrong), but brine getting warmer (which is fine)

Yeah. That's why that is the title. The difference between brine and salt water is semantics. If one if behaving one way and the other isn't then it's probably not what they wanted. Which is why it's posted here.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I wonder. But that can only the devs tell me. Why is there a temp output fixed on 40°C. I mean it seems to be intended but i belive that that has to do with the dynamics in the real world. This would apply to thermal desalination. BUT... the Desalinator ingame looks like a Reverse Osmosis Desalinator. So i would count this as a bug.

I would like to see it reengineered to something like adding BTUs (still would prefer Watt again sorry) instead of a fixed Temperature. And if it is thermal with an internal heat Exchanger. The colder The Input the colder the output. Through a way which adds to the cold Water whe Heat needed and remove the half of it again. (Example: At 100°C Evaporation and Input -10°C. Needed Heat is 110°C which is the Delta of both Values. 110°C * 50% = 65°C  Output (Sorry i am a bit to tired to write the Formular for the Delta i don't know why something so simple does not come in my mind...))

I would like this definatly more. Still i can manipulate the system now to delete heat if i want to :D Just use 90° Heated Saltwater or Saltwater short before Evaporation point and create that with Aquatuners :P

Edited by Sergadra

Share this comment