assets keep flashing in and out of existence

cheerfulygrim
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

i don't know if you have encountered this before, but i just got the game and tried playing it. I noticed the problem started in the main menu where things were rapidly flashing in and out of existence(kinda like a strobe light).

i started a game hoping that it would go away, it didn't. i restarted the game, it didn't help. i tried changing the settings from full screen to window mode and problem continued.

some things i noticed were the environment never did the flashing. it seemed limited to anything with an animation. also, some things with an animation managed to stay visible, but others stayed invisible until i moved my cursor over it.

unsure what else to include.

Steps to Reproduce
for me? umm... turn on the game and try to play it

User Feedback

Have you updated your GPU-drivers? This is a typical problem with older drivers. I asume, your hardware is fine, and ONI is the only game you have problems yet?

Share this comment

Looking at your log, you have a 970 mobile GPU with 2017 drivers that appear to be stock from MS Windows.

There have been weird edge cases where the on-chip graphics take over. Not sure how strong that i7 integrated graphics are.

Either way, seems like VRAM issue. That is, graphics falling in and out of memory.

I'd update the drivers from nvidia's website and open the control panel and make sure you are only using the 970m for graphics, not the intel.
I can't seem to find the info and maybe it only shows up with dual monitors, but I remember being able to run a monitor on iGPU and the other on GPU regardless of how they were connected.

Also, could be some power savings settings due to being a laptop, but I'm betting on just update drivers.

Share this comment

thanks for the ideas, i have tried updating my video card drivers, but that did not seem to help.

@sharraShimada

so far ONI is the first game i had this problem with.(or at least noticed with)

Share this comment

I'm not connected to my on-board video output and I suppose that's the only way to do it with a laptop, but since you are, you might have different options. There should be a way to set all or certain games to a specific GPU render.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/setting-an-nvidia-graphics-card-as-default.1659595/

I can't see the option they talk about but I do have this:

image.thumb.png.cf6ec8617d6f08c4915049b693219ec1.png

Share this comment