Abyssalite liquid pipes break with 100 degrees water

attichicco
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I was using a Metal Refinery attached to a thermo aquatuner, cool water enters the machine, hot water should exit and get dumped in a water tank, where a pump takes it back to the aquatuner.

Problem: after producing 1100Kg of steel in continuous production the water that exits the Metal Refinery reach 100 degrees and the pipe connected to it breaks.

The pipe was initially built with granite, I immediately removed it once it was broken and replaced it with an Abyssalite pipe (Overheat temperature +200 degrees, granite gives +15)

Issue: the pipe keeps on breaking and I am unable to extract the hot water from the machine, liquid pipes doesn't have an Overheat temperature, and they just break if the liquid piped into them is over 100 degrees, completely ignoring the material used to build them.

Solution: liquid pipes require an overheat temperature that should change according to the material used.

Screenshot of my setup is attached. (Note the aquatuner is placed far away as it reaches 1000+ degrees when used, not sure if it is normal.)

screenshot.259.png

screenshot.259.png

Steps to Reproduce
Build a metal refinery, cool it as you like, use it to produce steel with high priority and in continuous form. The output pipe will break and will require constant repair.

User Feedback

Note: there is a similar issue released on August 26, that still has no answers from Devs and was not quite well described for me.

Share this comment

At 100°C water (liquid) will change to steam (gas). The liquid pipe was broke because it could not contain or carry a gaseous substance.

Edited by Ozcuraz
  • Like 2

Share this comment

The pipes are working as intended.  The bug is that the metal refinery, if the output pipe is blocked, will continue heating the already hot liquid in it to even higher temperatures.

• Like 1

Share this comment

On 24/9/2018 at 2:51 AM, Ozcuraz said:

At 100°C water (liquid) will change to steam (gas). The liquid pipe was broke because it could not contain or carry a gaseous substance.

that may be an explanation for this but if that's the case why does it say (on the pipe) content: 10Kg of Water at 105 degrees C, in that case it should say 10Kg of steam or something like it.

Also that doesn't explain why the first pipe breaks and the others do not, and they still have inside them 10Kg of water at over 100 degrees

Share this comment

38 minutes ago, attichicco said:

that may be an explanation for this but if that's the case why does it say (on the pipe) content: 10Kg of Water at 105 degrees C, in that case it should say 10Kg of steam or something like it.

Also that doesn't explain why the first pipe breaks and the others do not, and they still have inside them 10Kg of water at over 100 degrees

I don't know why water at 105°C does not transform to steam yet. However, as you did mention above, the current content in liquid pipe is water (105°C) which is still counted as a liquid; hence, no damage to that pipe session.

I tested in debug mode by sending nearly boiled water through radiant liquid pipe surrounded by 200°C hydrogen atmosphere. Whenever the stage change occurs in liquid pipe, water in that pipe will disappear and steam will be created outside the pipe. Sending hot water continuously will lead to the broken liquid pipe. You can check whether this is the source of pipe damage in your scenario by monitoring net loss of water in your pipe system and steam floating near the metal refinery for a few second before condensed into water again.

Developer should mention damage source of liquid pipe and raise awareness to this situation though.

Share this comment

I'm having another issue with this, i was pumping water using 4 thermo aquatuners, so the water entering the metal foundry was at 4 degrees, the water coming out of it was... 200 degrees... I have no idea why this is happening, but now the pipe was breaking instantly so i had to break the machine to dump all the water.

I guess now I'll have to use those anti enthropy thermo nullifiers

Share this comment

On 9/24/2018 at 2:19 PM, psusi said:

The pipes are working as intended.  The bug is that the metal refinery, if the output pipe is blocked, will continue heating the already hot liquid in it to even higher temperatures.

Might that explain this bug? Check out the video I attached in my reply to this one, see what you think.

Thanks!

Edited by Chuckh
Link add

Share this comment