image.thumb.png.22159a8e82b27c0bde83c22362ae2c15.png

Steps to Reproduce

Go to the volcano

Place some walls on the lava

• Like 3

User Feedback

6 hours ago, KCDA said:

I still wish we got the Lava Turf item.

Actually that would be impossible to implement cleanly because DS has a really messy and hardcoded tile system. Tile collision only updates when the game is reset.....

Thankfully when DST added docks they entire tile system was redone and the tile collisions update in game.

Maybe DS will get that tile overhaul in the QOL update?

• Like 1

Share this comment

12 hours ago, KCDA said:

I still wish we got the Lava Turf item.

You make me funny again, guy. They said they will not add any new content recently (And It is not clear whether they will completely abandon this single-player game after next year). And the point is that the lava turf is considered as the collision boundary, so it is generally impossible to be excavated, and even if it is excavated, it DOES NOT have any benefit to the above things. If you come here to comment, just want to satirize that Klei has fixed the bug that you like that is "the lava turf can be dug", then I advise you to give it up. Bugs are absolutely objective, just like the bug that the tree seeds are ignited and extinguished (Moreover, I read the evidence post you gave, and it is obvious that you are mistaken. The fact that developers keep this bug and don't fix it doesn't mean that they still keep it after they come back.) and, and the Fire Farm (I actually don't object to this thing, but as I said, part of it is to take advantage of the loopholes in the game, which is not advisable, just like you use some skills when you speedrun.) (The bigger problem is that these bugs will not cause any trouble when used privately, but they are spread intentionally and it is difficult for you not to use them again after using them once, leading to addiction.). No matter how famous they are, how much they are defined by subjective things, they are all bugs. If you really want bugs, Klei gives you the right to modify lua files, and let you use mod that can "achieve" the bugs (If you can't program, I'm glad to provide your favorite bug file). Your stubbornness will not help the Don't Starve community (I remember someone said that no matter how long you play this game, no one is noble, and every player is equal.). The Don't Starve Together has caused some differences between players because of some "bugs" (like Wickerbottom's cancel reading anim). We don't want this atmosphere to spread to the Don't Starve community we love. Thanks.

Edited by KXWl1
  • Like 3

Share this comment

5 hours ago, KXWl1 said:

You make me funny again, guy. They said they will not add any new content recently (And It is not clear whether they will completely abandon this single-player game after next year). And the point is that the lava turf is considered as the collision boundary, so it is generally impossible to be excavated, and even if it is excavated, it DOES NOT have any benefit to the above things. If you come here to comment, just want to satirize that Klei has fixed the bug that you like that is "the lava turf can be dug", then I advise you to give it up. Bugs are absolutely objective, just like the bug that the tree seeds are ignited and extinguished (Moreover, I read the evidence post you gave, and it is obvious that you are mistaken. The fact that developers keep this bug and don't fix it doesn't mean that they still keep it after they come back.) and, and the Fire Farm (I actually don't object to this thing, but as I said, part of it is to take advantage of the loopholes in the game, which is not advisable, just like you use some skills when you speedrun.) (The bigger problem is that these bugs will not cause any trouble when used privately, but they are spread intentionally and it is difficult for you not to use them again after using them once, leading to addiction.). No matter how famous they are, how much they are defined by subjective things, they are all bugs. If you really want bugs, Klei gives you the right to modify lua files, and let you use mod that can "achieve" the bugs (If you can't program, I'm glad to provide your favorite bug file). Your stubbornness will not help the Don't Starve community (I remember someone said that no matter how long you play this game, no one is noble, and every player is equal.). The Don't Starve Together has caused some differences between players because of some "bugs" (like Wickerbottom's cancel reading anim). We don't want this atmosphere to spread to the Don't Starve community we love. Thanks.

(This time it was just a historical joke, not a "bring back digging up lava" argument. As if I mentioned Research Points in a post about prototyping. At best, I'm jokingly adding another bug to this bug report, the fact that you can dig up Lava Turf.)

Thanks, but I view mods as cheating, on the same level as console commands, so I won't be using them. Certainly some people would love them preserved as mods, as would I, but I personally would only want it from a preservation perspective, not for my own personal use.

(Some people call me a hypocrite for that, as they don't see the logic in what I said, and don't bother coming to terms with my explanations.) Innuendo_Studious has a great video about their love of Super Smash Brother Melee, that I like to use that excellently demonstrates my point. The video is called: "Things of Beauty: Super Smash Bros. as Spectator Sport" Around 4:44, is where it gets good.

Sports and board games have rules, but video games have laws.

That, in Soccer, you don't touch the ball with your hands, because you've agreed not to... But in Fifa, you don't touch the ball with your hands, because its impossible, there's no button for it.

So, in a sport you can anything that is not expressly forbidden by the rules.

In a video game, you can't do anything except what is expressly allowed by the system.

There's the basic logic right there. Playing a video game, there is no "right or wrong" options, only what you can get away with. There is no cheating, the game lets you do X or it can't stop you from doing X:

But the thing about systems is;

There's what the system was meant to do... V.S. What the system can't stop you from doing.

Beneficial bugs and exploits, in that way are not cheating. It's something the system can't stop you from doing. In my mind, real cheating, would be changing the system itself. Thus, mods and console commands, are a no-go for me. DS had rich technical depth for many years, much like Melee, and I loved both for similar reasons. (See? The logic isn't that hard to understand. It's my line in the sand, but well defined by logic. Also referencing Melee again, I don't use duplication bugs, in the same way that Melee players don't use the bug characters Master Hand or Giga Bowser, even if they could do it mechanics wise.)

Share this comment