The falling leaf effects from chopping trees can block the cursor

oCrapaCreeper
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Vanilla - NO DLC, Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, Hamlet Pending

For context, trees have a shake animation where the leaves/pineneedles fall down while you chop them with an axe. In DST, these can't block your mouse clicks, but in DS they do. Maybe more of an oversight that just never got changed in DS, but I'd figure I'd report for parity sake with DST. And because I'm nitpicky.

This is most noticeable to someone like me who likes to harvest trees faster by repeatedly clicking/action canceling on them instead of holding the action. I do it all the time in DST but in DS this little quirk causes you to awkwardly move to your cursor instead of chopping. All trees in all DLC that emit leaf particles while being chopped have this quirk, pinetrees are just more obvious. 

Here's a video of Maxwell failing to chop a tree by repeatedly clicking it. Again, harvesting trees this way works just fine in DST, but in DS the leaves can block your clicks and make you awkwardly walk to the cursor if they intersect...

Steps to Reproduce

1. Get an axe

2. Find a tree (pine trees are the most obvious)

3. Repeatedly/Spam chop where the particles emit and you will will be interrupted by them.

You can avoid this happening by clicking at specific parts of the tree where the particles don't fall to (top of the pinetree for example), so it's quite easy to tell that the leaves are the cause of this interaction being weird.

• Health 1

User Feedback

On 4/6/2023 at 9:47 PM, KXWl1 said:

But isn't the "spam chopping" itself a bug already?

As far as I can remember tapping the action has always been faster than holding when it comes to tools, including mining rocks as well and DST did not change that. The "bug" really is just the leaves/pine needles blocking your clicks, which is something that doesn't happen in DST. While this is kind of nitpicky there are other instances of visual effects blocking the mouse have been fixed in the past (ex. vortex cloak). I'll update this to be more straight forward.

Here's the same situation done in DST - trees are chopped faster than normal and the pine needles don't block my mouse, this would be the expected behavior.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Thanks 2
  • Health 1

Share this comment

On 4/7/2023 at 12:47 AM, KXWl1 said:

But isn't the "spam chopping" itself a bug already?

It's action cancelling. It's been in DS and DST since 2013, and haven't been patched in either. So no. You're cancelling the "cooldown" animation by either moving, or inputting another action.

If I remember correctly, in one of the previous QOL updates for DST, Klei even made it better (somehow, I don't remember what you need to do) so that this can work for laggy players, who'd otherwise be forced (by lag) to chop a Tree slowly, and this QOL changed helped prevent some early arthritis, by not requiring spam clicking?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment