In Hamlet compatible save, Survival/Adventure mode terrain is no longer properly separated by "rivers"

Cassielu
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Hamlet Fixed

Normally, a river/narrow ocean generate between different terrains in Survival/Adventure mode, separating them and making sure they only link at designated locations.

However, when compatible with Hamlet, these rivers/narrow oceans do not generate correctly, resulting in many unexpected links between terrains.

The biggest impact of this bug is in Adventure mode, where in "King of Winter" there is a challenge level at the junction of the terrain, but the bug causes players to bypass it directly. Even more egregious are "Two Worlds" where the map is scattered into two islands, and the bug causes the islands to be directly connected.

I suspect this bug has a similar effect in the sw world, but I haven't played much sw so I'm not sure.

This is a normal survival mode world:

20230128112052_1.thumb.jpg.7a3bd2c8aa9d24a84d4d93d73075fac1.jpg

This is a survival mode world compatible with hamlet:

You can definitely feel the difference

Marked in red are the places where the "river" should have been generated.

675896173_QQ20230128113128.thumb.png.2316ced4e832e02da40d3c804baf0443.png1491297669_QQ20230128113124.thumb.png.7c6768411d2f3122fdc95a65ed3944bb.png

Steps to Reproduce

1.Create a survival/adventure mode world that is not compatible with hamlet

2..Create a survival/adventure mode world compatible with hamlet

3.Compare them

• Like 5

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Yep this applies to SW, islands frequently merge together and sometimes will even have coral reefs merged into the island itself similarly to a mangrove.

Share this comment

I had a particularly bad case of this in Adventure Mode the other day with The Game is Afoot. The center area merged with one of the side peninsulas and completely negated the need to pass through the dangerous bridges to reach the Things.

mapblob.thumb.png.063357b2378db85bc3ea989522e373b9.png

mapblob3.thumb.png.633b801784096d0232b7a5f6810e5d33.png

Archipelago was also a bit misshapen in another Hamlet-compatible game, especially where two of the islands merged.

mapblobs.thumb.png.81b8bd771df0a78c57f283db1e994028.png

And here's a Two Worlds that was really just one world with a hole in the middle, although it's a less comprehensive screenshot:

image.thumb.png.72d07a10be026c3c97eabb118048d09d.png

backup_log.txt log.txt

Edited by CameoAppearance

Share this comment

I actually managed to fix this, it's just a small change to forest_map.lua. I'll paste the changes when I get home. It causes issues for Hamlet worlds though, @DiogoW perhaps there's a way to use separate forest_map parameters for Hamlet worlds to avoid problems?

Share this comment

UPDATE: It's this line

--WorldSim:SeparateIslands()

Removing the two dashes at the beginning makes RoG worlds generate like normal. Here's a Hamlet compatible world I created after applying the change. You can see the "rivers" generated between near the rocky and savanna biomes (Sorry for the log, CTRL-L won't close it for some reason):

image.thumb.png.0a05df15853db65de2eedb9de2477642.png

• Like 2

Share this comment

11 minutes ago, DiogoW said:

Thanks for finding the problem for me :smile:

Changed Status to Fixed

I'd probably look into it a little bit further, my method is more of a band-aid than a long-term solution. RoG worlds generate properly, but Hamlet worlds have issues when I use this. I'll upload a screenshot to show you what I mean.

Share this comment

@DiogoW This is what happens to Hamlet worlds when I use the above method. RoG/vanilla worlds end up looking a lot better, but Hamlet worlds get split up into several tiny islands that are too small to be useful. Here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.ac4dfcc92396639060b2af1d84f357d4.png 

1 minute ago, DiogoW said:

I made sure that Hamlet's worlds weren't affected by the fix.

Ahh, I see. Should be fine then!

Share this comment

On 2/7/2023 at 3:10 PM, SpoonyBardIV said:

@DiogoW This is what happens to Hamlet worlds when I use the above method. RoG/vanilla worlds end up looking a lot better, but Hamlet worlds get split up into several tiny islands that are too small to be useful. Here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.ac4dfcc92396639060b2af1d84f357d4.png 

Ahh, I see. Should be fine then!

Dang, that's a lot of wormholes. It's like Archipelago 2 in here.

Share this comment