Beefalo lose aggro too fast

SpoonyBardIV
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Vanilla - NO DLC, Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, Hamlet Fixed

When you attack a Beefalo, the one you hit is supposed to chase you after the rest of the herd loses interest. One of the recent updates broke this behaviour. Now, the one you hit will lose interest at the same time as the rest, so it’s impossible to draw one away from the herd to kill it.

Steps to Reproduce

Attack a Beefalo and run away. It will lose interest in chasing you very quickly.

• Haha 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Just to clarify, did the Beefalo you hit, make an attempt to hit you back (and miss?) If you were to keep too much distance, so that it wouldn't be able to try and attack, losing aggro would be normal. (Since the hit-attempt renews the aggro.)

It's important to point out if this was simply human error, or an actual change in the code.

Edited by KCDA

Share this comment

38 minutes ago, KCDA said:

Just to clarify, did the Beefalo you hit, make an attempt to hit you back (and miss?) If you were to keep too much distance, so that it wouldn't be able to try and attack, losing aggro would be normal. (Since the hit-attempt renews the aggro.)

It's important to point out if this was simply human error, or an actual change in the code.

It looks like a bug. Before, I'd hit the Beefalo, and it would chase me along with any other Beefalo nearby. The rest of them would lose aggro before the one I hit, which would chase me for quite a bit longer. The one I hit would eventually stop chasing me, but not until ~15 seconds after the rest. I would then proceed to fight it after luring it away from the herd. This is how it used to work, and it's how it works in DST as well. After a recent update, the Beefalo I hit loses aggro at the same time as the rest, which means it never breaks off from the herd. This makes it impossible to fight a Beefalo one-on-one, because it never gets far enough away to prevent the herd from swarming me.

EDIT: Yes, it did try to attack me. Once right after getting hit, and again when it was chasing me.

Edited by SpoonyBardIV
  • Like 1

Share this comment

7 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

It looks like a bug. Before, I'd hit the Beefalo, and it would chase me along with any other Beefalo nearby. The rest of them would lose aggro before the one I hit, which would chase me for quite a bit longer. The one I hit would eventually stop chasing me, but not until ~15 seconds after the rest. I would then proceed to fight it after luring it away from the herd. This is how it used to work, and it's how it works in DST as well. After a recent update, the Beefalo I hit loses aggro at the same time as the rest, which means it never breaks off from the herd. This makes it impossible to fight a Beefalo one-on-one, because it never gets far enough away to prevent the herd from swarming me.

EDIT: Yes, it did try to attack me. Once right after getting hit, and again when it was chasing me.

You can still attack beefalos one by one via feeding one of them cut grass or twigs, and making it keep some distance from the herd

Share this comment