Unable to start game on Mac

Claire Hyde
  • Pending

Ever since the 2/11 hotfix, I've been unable to start the game up. It'll open for a split second and then close before I even get to the loading screen. I've tried verifying the files, uninstalling and reinstalling both the game and steam, clearing download caches, and even trying to start the game from the terminal, and it won't open. I hoped the newest hotfix might help, but that hasn't done anything, so I'm stuck. 

Steps to Reproduce

I have no idea what caused the issue--one day I was just unable to open the game anymore. 

• Sad 1

User Feedback

I'm trying to launch the game from Steam, and other games open just fine, including vanilla Don't Starve. I did try it again and still no dice. 

Share this comment

On 3/18/2021 at 4:56 PM, zarklord_klei said:

That logfile says steam isn't running, try running steam and try again.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, Claire Hyde said:

I'm trying to launch the game from Steam, and other games open just fine, including vanilla Don't Starve. I did try it again and still no dice. 

I'd also like to add, the game itself won't update anymore. It keeps saying updates are queued but they don't download. 

• Wavey 1

Share this comment

The latest client update for Steam was on 2/13 and it affected macOS, around the same time your problem started occuring. Are your other games able to download updates? Is your Steam version up to date?

Share this comment

On 4/22/2021 at 4:18 PM, Aeglefire said:

The latest client update for Steam was on 2/13 and it affected macOS, around the same time your problem started occuring. Are your other games able to download updates? Is your Steam version up to date?

As far as I can tell, my steam version is up to date. My other games have been downloading updates just fine. 

Share this comment

Sorry to hear that this is happening. As zarklord_klei mentioned, the log is indicating that the game is not able to launch successfully as there is an error where Steam is unable to initialize. Here are a couple of troubleshooting steps you can try:

1) Are you running on a Mac user account with admin privileges? Is this the same account that installed the game from Steam? Please ensure that your Mac user account (that you used to install the Steam client/game app) is the one that is being used when running the game.

2) Fully reboot your Mac OS device, and once it has been fully restarted, launch Steam once more and try launching the game again. You may need to try to reboot twice if this does not resolve the issue.

3) If you have any 3rd-party Mac OS antivirus/anti-malware software, please ensure that Don't Starve Together (and the Steam client) are included in the allowed/trusted software list. 

- You could also try temporarily disabling these, then try running Steam and the game once more to see if it start successfully.

4) Disable non-essential background applications that may be currently running that may interfere with Steam's processes. 

5) Also, if you are running an older version of your Mac OS, you will want to try updating your Mac OS version in case your current one conflicts with the game. 

Should the issue persist, could you please provide us with a detailed list of your Mac's specs (including OS X ver. and your graphics card specs).

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 5/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, JanH said:

Sorry to hear that this is happening. As zarklord_klei mentioned, the log is indicating that the game is not able to launch successfully as there is an error where Steam is unable to initialize. Here are a couple of troubleshooting steps you can try:

1) Are you running on a Mac user account with admin privileges? Is this the same account that installed the game from Steam? Please ensure that your Mac user account (that you used to install the Steam client/game app) is the one that is being used when running the game.

2) Fully reboot your Mac OS device, and once it has been fully restarted, launch Steam once more and try launching the game again. You may need to try to reboot twice if this does not resolve the issue.

3) If you have any 3rd-party Mac OS antivirus/anti-malware software, please ensure that Don't Starve Together (and the Steam client) are included in the allowed/trusted software list. 

- You could also try temporarily disabling these, then try running Steam and the game once more to see if it start successfully.

4) Disable non-essential background applications that may be currently running that may interfere with Steam's processes. 

5) Also, if you are running an older version of your Mac OS, you will want to try updating your Mac OS version in case your current one conflicts with the game. 

Should the issue persist, could you please provide us with a detailed list of your Mac's specs (including OS X ver. and your graphics card specs).

None of these fixes worked, so:
I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), with a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB of memory, and an Intel HD Graphics 6000 graphic card,

Share this comment