Trade inn eats up items without returning anything

Arlesienne
  • Closed

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to ask for assistance with the trade inn. I intended to upgrade my lower tier items a bit given my perpetual lack of luck these days, but something did not quite go as planned. I filled in each of the nine slots, hit the lever, the creepy beefalo trader sang something like "I'll be there in a jinx" and then...

I got this:

RS5tyuW.jpg

Now I have no new items AND apparently lost quite a bunch of what I had in my inventory previously. To add to my misery, I can't tell for sure what exactly is missing, just the amount. This is probably nothing I can fix, but thought it only fair to mention this. Was giving my dear Bob the scrappy wyvernling away, never to see the fellow again (goodbyes are hard), what incensed Charlie?

Sincerely,

Arlesienne

Steps to Reproduce
I honestly cannot help you here, my apologies.

User Feedback

Hey @Arlesienne, most likely what happened is that the trade succeeded, but you failed to receive the communication back from the server and you didn't notice the new item next time you logged in. I'll look into your account and let you know the situation.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Just now, PeterA said:

Hey @Arlesienne, most likely what happened is that the trade succeeded, but you failed to receive the communication back from the server and you didn't notice the new item next time you logged in. I'll look into your account and let you know the situation.

Thank you so much. This would be most appreciated. I see some of the commons were consumed, considering I had five pages' worth of inventory before visiting the trade inn and now they shrank to four. Sadly I cannot remember exactly what I burnt. The good thing is, I should have screenshots somewhere inside my Steam directories.

Share this comment

No worries, I assume this was your last trade inn transaction? I'll let you know if I need more information. For the time being, please hold off on making any more trades, as it complicates my investigation :)

• Like 1

Share this comment

1 minute ago, PeterA said:

No worries, I assume this was your last trade inn transaction? I'll let you know if I need more information. For the time being, please hold off on making any more trades, as it complicates my investigation :)

Indeed it was. I pretty much decided it would be wiser to wait it out, because I imagine checking all this, going between the trade inn and Steam, probably backwards too, seems complicated enough.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Yup, everything looks like it was in order. You received a Classy 'pure white' Suspension Shirt on Tue, 20 Dec 2016 12:39:47 GMT. If you're not seeing that item in your inventory let me know.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Yup, everything looks like it was in order. You received a Classy 'pure white' Suspension Shirt on Tue, 20 Dec 2016 12:39:47 GMT. If you're not seeing that item in your inventory let me know.

Ha. That's intriguing, thank you very much. I'm not impressed with my lack of luck - suspension shirts... the joy - but with the fact the trade I could not go through with was made up of classies, not commons. Does the trade inn return a single item of tier X for nine X-tiered clothes? Is this the uncommon deal of Winter's Feast?

Attaching the link to this nefarious shirt: http://steamcommunity.com/id/keeper_m/inventory/#322330_1_878658046423239799

Share this comment

Yeah the trade inn takes 9 items of a single rarity, and then returns 1 of a higher tier (potentially multiple tiers higher). The 9 items you traded to get the Suspension Shirt were these following common items.

BODY_POLO_WHITE_MARBLE
BODY_TRIMMED_BLOUSE_WHITE_PURE 
BODY_TRIMMED_BLOUSE_YELLOW_FLAX
BODY_TSHIRT_GREY_BATTLESHIP
BODY_TSHIRT_RED_HIGGSBURY
HAND_LONGGLOVES_GREY_BATTLESHIP

Does that look correct?

• Like 1

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, PeterA said:

Yeah the trade inn takes 9 items of a single rarity, and then returns 1 of a higher tier (potentially multiple tiers higher). The 9 items you traded to get the Suspension Shirt were these following common items.

BODY_POLO_WHITE_MARBLE
BODY_TRIMMED_BLOUSE_YELLOW_FLAX
BODY_TSHIRT_RED_HIGGSBURY
HAND_LONGGLOVES_GREY_BATTLESHIP

Does that look correct?

That looks correct, except the error message I linked to appeared after I loaded the trade inn with classies. Perhaps that trade got messed up somehow?

• Like 1

Share this comment

Yeah, what happened in that case is that after the transaction on the server was finalized, the reply back to your computer was lost/the connection was dropped. So you successfully completed the trade, but then simply didn't get the response notifying you what you got. Logging in again forces you to get your update inventory with the new item.

Let me know if you have any more issues with trading! You're free to resume using the trade inn now, good luck!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Just now, PeterA said:

Yeah, what happened in that case is that after the transaction on the server was finalized, the reply back to your computer was lost/the connection was dropped. So you successfully completed the trade, but then simply didn't get the response notifying you what you got. Logging in again forces you to get your update inventory with the new item.

Let me know if you have any more issues with trading! You're free to resume using the trade inn now, good luck!

Thank you, I will restart Steam right now and see if there is anything new (I expect a spiffy given I loaded in classies that fateful time). Apologies for taking so much time.

Share this comment

Pardon, I've just done that. Sadly no new spiffy. I guess I'm going to suppose the beefalo trader is just extremely prejudiced against me and stop bothering you?

Share this comment

Hold on, the trade that failed was all Classy items entered?

Yes, as I mentioned above. I spent commons I didn't need, then went to load in classies. I hoped for a spiffy. Well, I got a cute little error message and a flustered beefalo trader. Isn't that the coveted timeless rarity?

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, PeterA said:

Do you know which of your Classy items you were trading in?

I cannot remember, but if I can take a minute or two, I believe there should be a screenshot. I'd just have to delve into these folders Steam creates. Shall I?

Share this comment

Now, I went to check my inventory. As you can see from the link a bit above, most of this were found... except for the third grey sweater. I put two in, leaving one for a second round. Now it's gone. This is becoming more and more fascinating to me.

Share this comment

Yup, that matches what I'm seeing as well. 

The 9 items you traded in are
BODY_CARDIGAN_WHITE_GHOST
BODY_CARDIGAN_BLACK_JET
BODY_SUSPENDERS_YELLOW_FLAX
BODY_SUSPENDERS_WHITE_PURE
BODY_SWEATERVEST_RED_FIREHOUND
BODY_SWEATERVEST_GREY_SILVER
BODY_SWEATERVEST_GREY_SILVER
LEGS_CHECKERED_PLEATS_GREEN_LAUREL
LEGS_CHECKERED_PLEATS_BLUE_CORNFLOWER

You've got all those items still, but I don't see the third BODY_SWEATERVEST_GREY_SILVER in your inventory.

Still investigating...

• Like 1

Share this comment

I'm so sorry for this. I thought it was something relatively simple. I don't want to be a bother. I suppose I wouldn't have got anything from the winter collection anyway, fellow players are drowning in them, the supply has to be limited ;).

Share this comment

No worries. Thank you very much for reporting this and providing all this info. We take the the integrity of the item database very seriously and want to ensure that no items are lost ever.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Thank you a lot. This is more of a little disappointment than something truly impending gameplay, so I will be fine in taking care of other users with the more serious bugs first.

Share this comment

Okay, I tracked down the issue and why the trade inn failed. One of the grey sweaters you were trying to trade was also traded to a different user on Steam. What most likely happened, is that you logged in and that downloaded your inventory, then in Steam you traded the sweater, and then when you went to use the Trade Inn, the sweater item you were sending to the trader was no longer yours.

• Like 1

Share this comment