Steam Deck: Controller Layout not working

krylincy
  • Fixed

I am not able to use my configured steam Deck Controller Layout. This is important to map mod keys (F1, F2, L etc) to some buttons.

I am totally stuck from playing this game on the deck.

Steps to Reproduce

Use steam Deck and configure a custom layout (game detail page, controller icon).

Set up some keyboard bindings, eg. map F1 to the R4 key.

Start the game (info is shown: custom layout will be used) and try it: the game will take the controller configuration from the in-game settings. But there is no option to add keyboard bindings. And I can not change the input type to controller. 

Please please please add an option to use the steam controller layout instead this limited in-game one.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

What is the reason that you are changing the steam button mapping instead of binding actions in the game's options menu?

• Like 1

Share this comment

I do not want to map function to key (open map = R4), I want to map the keys to some function (R4 = M).

Or how would you suggest to use mod button F1 with Steam Deck, or shortcut 1 to use fist slot of inventory?

Also, steam controller layout allows more configuration for the keys (short press, long press).

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Sorry, when looking into this I came across a game breaking issue with chat on the steam deck. Once this is resolved we will have an official steam deck layout published with support for the L4, L5, R4, R5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

The underside buttons can be mapped to mouse right, middle, 4 and 5 in the steam layout and then they will work in-game. But L4 and L5 are bound to chat which is quite broken right now so be careful, maybe rebind them in game. I hope to get this resolved and a proper default steam deck layout early in the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

A fix for this is ready for the the next hotfix.
There will be an official Steam Deck layout to pick from, have working L4, L5, R4, R5 buttons, and a fix for text chat.

For the best experience when the patch goes out, you will want to reset the controls to default or manually rebind the underside buttons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment