Rather Long Loading Times (Self-hosted worlds)

lakhnish
  • Known Issue

I had the game installed on my HHD for a long time and sometimes it would take a very long time to load shards & worlds (self-hosted worlds, would lose about 1-4 minutes aka 2 - 8 segements of gameplay).

Someone then told ilme it only took them about 15 seconds since they had it on their SSD; I did the same for about two weeks now, and I no longer face long loading times.

Is this just a hardware difference at this point?

Steps to Reproduce
Compare load times speeds for DST for SSD vs. HHD. Notice SSD has significantly faster loading times. Can this be improved for HHDs?
  • Like 1

User Feedback

your SSD will naturally be faster than your HDD by magnitudes which is normal, and if you want even more speed, you can try using a ramdisk, which can be several times faster than your SSD (how much faster it'll be will be limited by your cpu speed)

a HDD is normally slower because it uses phyical discs to store data which have to be constantly rotated to access information, and you'd have to deal with fragmentation under the ntfs filesystem (which windows uses)

a SSD has zero moving parts, and data access is random (this means no fragmentation)

though i've noticed that the game's loading times have become much longer recently, but i'm not sure why

• Like 1

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

though i've noticed that the game's loading times have become much longer recently, but i'm not sure why

Yea, that's essentially why I posted it here too, so in the off chance there is something else going on that could maybe be addressed for others.

Share this comment

We are aware of the longer load times and it is something we plan to look at in the near future. Unfortunately, at this point we do not have an ETA as to when this will be done.

• Thanks 5

Share this comment