Possible incompatibility with macOS Catalina?

zolthoan
  • Fixed

I have been playing don't starve for years now, I recently updated to Catalina on my Mac and the game will not start. An error stating that the software is not compatible shows up when trying to open don't starve together. I did some digging around and found that macOS Catalina has dropped support for 32-bit applications. Is a 64-bit version planned or being worked on? How hard would it be to change the bits of an application?

Thank you

Steps to Reproduce
1. Have a Mac with macOS Catalina installed. 2. Try and open don't starve together 3. Error shows up.
  • Like 2

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Is a 64-bit version planned or being worked on? How hard would it be to change the bits of an application?

@zolthoan

I've tried to bring this to the awareness of the devs in another somewhat related post here in the general forums. From fellow forum users, I've been told that it would be a difficult task to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, so it would be unlikely that DST goes 64-bit. 

If you don't get a response here from a developer in this bug report within the weekday, I would highly suggest making a post in the specifically about the lack of 64-bit compatibility for the macOS in the DST general forums (located here) so that you do get a better chance at a response.

They're off on the weekends, so expect a response (or lack thereof) during the weekday at either your bug report here or if you make a post in the general forums.

Share this comment

The problem is that when Catalina launches and people start downloading the new update, Mac will no longer be supported as a platform at all. I don't know the percentage of users that play on Macs, but it seems like a big problem to me. Especially for a game like this, where you can play on cafes and is especially useful when trying to kill time between lectures.

• Sad 1

Share this comment

Recently my attention was brought to Go64 where I found out DST was still 32bit. This is still the case even with RoT beta.

DSA is actually 64bit, so I worry that there are some roadblocks to making DST 64bit, rather than this being a simple case of "we never tried". :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this comment

I also cannot run the game on Catalina because of the whole 32 bit thing, any update on when it will be fixed?

• Like 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

Catalina should be fixed now. It looks like you're seeing a different issue with Steam. Have you tried verifying your game cache?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi, I've been running into this issue as well. I have the exact same error message (unknown) as previously posted with MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 I've tried both restarting the game and verifying the game cache. How do you proceed? I really want to continue playing DST.

Share this comment

Hello, I had a problem with my Dont Starve world, I was playing, and suddenly there was a power outage, when I tried to enter the 
world again it won't let me, an error appears, could you please help me? :(

imagen_2023-10-26_133943528.png

Share this comment